Our new adopted pup

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hi, we brought home a cutie on Sunday who's 3 months.
I was wondering if there is a way I can get him to slow down his eating? He just gobbles it so fast.

I'm not sure if it's even an issue, but you know when you bring home a new puppy you want to do everything right in the beginning.

Does anyone have any tips that worked to slow down their dogs eating?

Meet Rambo!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468952701.884226.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468952734.701767.jpg

Rue

Canada
Adorable! Congrats!

You can put rocks in his bowl, so he has to work around the rocks to eat. There are also specially designed food bowls that offer a similar eating environment, designed to slow down the gobbling. You can also feed smaller amounts, more frequently, until he calms down.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi Kathy , a lot of times puppy's will eat that way because they are used to being in competition with their siblings for the food ! In other words "He who eats the fastest gets the mostest !" :D They usually slow down when they realize it is all theirs , and no one else is going to eat it ! Rambo is gonna be a big guy ! :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
04c48e8549e2b79845dfd5d23ee1b586.jpg

Hi, @Momof4.See? That would have been my reaction, to having a dog around.:(

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Adorable! Congrats!

You can put rocks in his bowl, so he has to work around the rocks to eat. There are also specially designed food bowls that offer a similar eating environment, designed to slow down the gobbling. You can also feed smaller amounts, more frequently, until he calms down.

I have never heard of using rocks.
With a past dog I would feed one kibble at a time but that didn't last to long. He scarfed his food until he got old.
I'll give him some more time. I do understand that he had siblings to contend with.
He acts like he's starving.
I give 2/3 cup 3x a day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never heard of using rocks.
With a past dog I would feed one kibble at a time but that didn't last to long. He scarfed his food until he got old.
I'll give him some more time. I do understand that he had siblings to contend with.
He acts like he's starving.
I give 2/3 cup 3x a day.
I wouldn't use rocks, bad idea unless it's a really big one that he couldn't possibly swollen, but then he could crack a tooth. Most likely when he realizes no one else will eat his food he will settle down, specially if you free feed. I know, most people don't recommend it. I always recommend it! Never had a gobbler, never had an over weight dog and never had to rush home because my dog needed to be fed. Free feed, is just keeping the bowl filled with food 24/7. I have had many dogs, bred, raised and showed them and worked in just about every field with them. Have had 7 adults and two litters of 5 pups each at one time and all free fed.

Rue

Canada
Well yes...you use large smooth rocks - of an appropriate size for the dog. Not pebbles.

And as I said...if you don't want the DIY approach you can buy a bowl these days.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I wouldn't use rocks, bad idea unless it's a really big one that he couldn't possibly swollen, but then he could crack a tooth. Most likely when he realizes no one else will eat his food he will settle down, specially if you free feed. I know, most people don't recommend it. I always recommend it! Never had a gobbler, never had an over weight dog and never had to rush home because my dog needed to be fed. Free feed, is just keeping the bowl filled with food 24/7. I have had many dogs, bred, raised and showed them and worked in just about every field with them. Have had 7 adults and two litters of 5 pups each at one time and all free fed.

Our 3yr old dog is free fed because she just nibbles here and there.
My other two (passed)were fed 2x a day.

I'm not opposed to it, I just didn't want him to over eat and get sick.
I may try it next week if I see him slow down a bit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Usually a pup that gobbles like this one, when free fed, will gobble only once or twice, as they then vomit and seem to learn their lesson. I'm sure not all though.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is a cute puppy. I do you think that with most dogs free feeding works. The specially made goals would work also. Or you can add a bunch of water to the dry kibble if that's what you're feeding him so that basically the food is floating. That will slow him down also.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469067478.410279.jpg
This is a plastic suction cup thing that attaches to the bottom of flat bowls to slow down their feeding. Don't remember what it is called, but they should have them near the dog dishes of most pet stores. Works wonders.

Unlike some of the previous replies here I am a big fan of meal times that are a little more structured. This little gadget really helped my youngest dog when he was little.

Rue

Canada
I also have structured meal times...but adjust that a little if necessary - depending on the dog. I have always fed mine in their crates. Never had a problem. Crates are open most of the time too. They will sometimes visit each others crates...just never at mealtimes. ..they know which crate is their's! :)

Everyone gets fed twice a day. But the mini-dachshund doesn't always want to eat...so I leave it for her for when she's ready. I never add the second meal if she didn't eat the first.

Meganolvt

Michigan
Petsafe is a company that makes something called a Tug-A-Jug and it works great for a fast eater. They have to really work to get the food out. I recommend it to my clients all the time.Screenshot_2016-07-20-22-51-30.png

Rue

Canada
That's interesting! I have been trying all kinds of puzzle toys with my Am Bull. ..just to keep her entertained...

But she gets too frustrated too quickly and then just kills the toy...

Looks like a good idea though! I will have to keep it mind for another dog. Thanks.

Meganolvt

Michigan
My sister-in-law uses one with her dog at every feeding and it works great. Piper goes into her cage and basically throws it around until she gets it all the kibble out. It's hilarious and has solved the eating so fast she pukes problem!And she likes to chew on the rope too. Win win!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i feed all 5 of my dogs in their own crates with the door open in a hanging coop cup( stainless steel bowls). My dogs are fed 5 am and 4 pm. Their food is pre-measured to balance their weight. They NEVER leave any food behind.