Our enclosures

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
@Prairie Mom here yah go. Not the best some recent enclosure/building photos. I still have one more building that isn't represented here.

Greenhouse
Facilitates all sorts of species from Aldabras to forsteni,homes, erosa, box turtles, and lots of red and Yellowfoots and more.
image.jpg

Quite warm and humid in there.
image.jpg

Big pens.
image.jpg
And smaller pens. 5'x5'
image.jpg
And even non wet drier pens. But they still get all the humidity just no spray downs or misting system.

image.jpg
And lots of tanks for wee ones.
image.jpg

And the mountain mansion.
image.jpg
image.jpg
And some nice custom special tortoise enclosures.
image.jpg
image.jpg

And then the wee shack. For more dryer and arid species, and wee babies.
Quite warm in this building so I leave a variety of tortoise eggs ambient incubation in this building. Works great.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
Wee tanks.
image.jpg

Heather H

N.E. ohio
just wow. ok and people here think Im going nuts with my one little enclosure. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I love your green house so much! Sure wish i had the funds and property to do something like that for my Leopards.

el_ote

5 Year Member
:eek:

that is amazing! great job! how long have you been keeping tortoises?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I like the idea of an "incubation room" haha :).

Now, where are those super-special tortoises for the table enclosures in the Mountain Mansion? Looks like you have a kleinmanni in one?
That's an Angulata. There awaiting cites clearance. Should be soon and there here.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hm, I feel stupid. Angulata, pretty awesome though :). Now that raises the question, aren't angulata a more arid species? I would think the Manouria room would be higher humidity.
Eh somewhat. The Manouria building stays 70-80% humid. I spray them down every other day. They like to soak in the water more. They're not as super wet tropical constantly that many believe actually. Dry and wet season. The Angulata prefers medium to higher humidity and dry substrate. They're found in grassland areas and go dormant when it's very hot and dry. So they aren't active during the dryer season. Which is how I keep them. Seem to be thriving very well. Been over a year now.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Utterly fantastic!!
I would hate to see your electricity bill :)
Thanks for sharing the photo's.

Prairie Mom

This is absolutely wonderful! You're obviously maintaining comfy habitats that also look beautiful and really well crafted.

Couple questions:

I could see space heaters and humidifiers throughout. Just curious, what kind of heat are you using for the general building?

Also wondering how you are maintaining humidity? Do you have any single piece of equipment that is keeping the entire room humid or are you using lots of little ones all over as needed?

Also curious about flooring. We plan on making a single large room. I was checking out your larger enclosures...Are those built directly on the floor with substrate?

Are you running into any mold issues as you are maintaining these warm and humid conditions that I need to be warned about?

Prairie Mom

Man! Still staring at these pictures! This is really helpful. Everything looks great!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fantastic Kelly. I do have a question though. Not sure if I missed something. You said Aldabra's, not Aldabra. Did I miss you getting another one or you were just speaking to the future? I just doesn't want to miss it when you get to having them:D

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Wow! You have certainly earned your moniker! Seriously impressive, thanks for sharing.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Wow, you have added a few plants since I saw the pics last! It's so inviting!
I know you do a lot there but have you ever thought about having schools or girls/boy scouts come for tours? They could pay a small fee for your time.