Ornate Box Turtle

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
I find my ornate bt a fussy eater. The previous owner fed mostly a live cricket diet. He goes after them aggressively, so that is not a problem. It is a problem trying to feed him other food. Any suggestions? Thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have one Ornate BT female. My understanding is that they tend to be more carnivorous than other box turtles.
They are VERY opinionated about what they eat, but she tended to eat things like softened sweet potato in the Spring more readily, and overall her eating tapered off over Summer.
So, mine has tapered off eating for the season, but when I fed her, I chopped up healthy veggies/greens, added a couple of berries, and made a pile with some worms on top, then put her in front of it.
I hoped that she would get a few veggies by accident, lol.
I also misted then sprinkled the 'bugs/worms' with TNT powdered supplement, which is ground up weeds from Carolina Pet Supply.

You just keep offering!

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Thanks for replying. I was told he was an eastern box turtle and didn't realise he was an ornate. I think he is about 5 or so. I assume he is a he as that is what the guy told me.
I have tried fruits and vegetables and he will sometimes eat carrots and peas but thats it, seems to be hit and miss.
I'll try your suggestions, thanks. :)

QUOTE="lynnedit, post: 948206, member: 7573"]I have one Ornate BT female. My understanding is that they tend to be more carnivorous than other box turtles.
They are VERY opinionated about what they eat, but she tended to eat things like softened sweet potato in the Spring more readily, and overall her eating tapered off over Summer.
So, mine has tapered off eating for the season, but when I fed her, I chopped up healthy veggies/greens, added a couple of berries, and made a pile with some worms on top, then put her in front of it.
I hoped that she would get a few veggies by accident, lol.
I also misted then sprinkled the 'bugs/worms' with TNT powdered supplement, which is ground up weeds from Carolina Pet Supply.

You just keep offering![/QUOTE]