Ornate Box Turtle Hibernation

threenice

I am in the process of building a large outdoor enclosure for an ornate and was wondering if I could hibernate the turtle outdoors? And how if possible. I live in kansas where ornates are native but also heard that the refrigerator method is more safe. What do you guy think?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I would think if it's wild caught and used to the outside that method would be best, I haven't tried the fridge method. The problem I've found with mine is they didn't seem to find a spot they like outside. I put mine in large tubs with a mixture of outside dirt, topsoil and leaves, and put them in the unheated garage in November. It makes it easy to check on them and I know where they are, after about a week they dig in and then late March they start to come out again.

I would go with the freezer method if you can. In the wild they would have an entire forest of places to hibernate rather than and enclosure. It probably would work outside too. But I would do it in the refrigerator if you can. Just so you know I've never hibernated mine yet so my advice is not from experience just stuff I learned on here but i do plan on hibernating my guy in the fridge. Good luck with whatever you decide!