Opinions on Shipping

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
I just wanted see if anyone has used tortoise supply before? I've seen nothing but great things but just wanted some opinions from some experts. My wife and I just ordered our first tort baby and we're super pumped. Just want to make sure they'll be safe. We live in Alaska and so the distance just makes me nervous!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Just make sure to track your package and make sure someone is available to receive it. If possible you may even want to ask the post office (or fedex or whatever) to hold it for you so it's not on a cold truck waiting for delivery.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Sorry I mean no harm by this and Ill probably say it wrong . But if you trust these peoples advise : why don't you buy your tort through the TFO members ?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Sorry I mean no harm by this and Ill probably say it wrong . But if you trust these peoples advise : why don't you buy your tort through the TFO members ?

I just came across this forum, I'm new here. I would buy from TFO members I just wasn't aware of that, I hope I didn't offend anyone. You're totally right though and thank you for the help!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I just came across this forum, I'm new here. I would buy from TFO members I just wasn't aware of that, I hope I didn't offend anyone. You're totally right though and thank you for the help!
Thank you for understanding that I only wanted to help . And as your time us you will get to know the members that have the most experience with the different problems you see in the future ! Good luck and enjoy !

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Thank you for understanding that I only wanted to help . And as your time us you will get to know the members that have the most experience with the different problems you see in the future ! Good luck and enjoy !

I completely understand and thank you!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Just make sure to track your package and make sure someone is available to receive it. If possible you may even want to ask the post office (or fedex or whatever) to hold it for you so it's not on a cold truck waiting for delivery.

I think I'm going to do that! Thank you so much for your help!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
What sort of tortoise did you decide on?

After A LOT discussions and research we decided on the Sulcata, probably not what most would pick for Alaska but our time in Alaska is limited and after that we will be back in Texas before he/she needs to be outside full time and he/she will have a whole yard to their own. Plus, the Sulcata is what we both really wanted, were prepped for the craziness!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
He is a good looking little dude ! These terracotta plant saucers work great for food and water ! Just set them down level with the substrate
58dcd560-d6f7-47db-98a8-fb9b8d69fc90_1000.jpg

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Congratulations on your handsome sulcata. In time you may want to put some sort of cover on the sides of his tank, except for the front viewing pane. You can get a plastic film backing from your local pet shop, paint it, or get creative. Your tort will feel more secure and be less apt to incessantly scratch at the glass. It will also hide your fixture wires, and make the enclosure feel more "permanent".

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Also, your air up there is going to be pretty dry right now. I didn't see your lid, but if it's mesh, you're going to want to modify it somehow to keep humidity in the tank. Best of luck.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Also, your air up there is going to be pretty dry right now. I didn't see your lid, but if it's mesh, you're going to want to modify it somehow to keep humidity in the tank. Best of luck.

Thanks so much! Yeah we're staying in anchorage this weekend, we had him flown to a friends so it would be less travel time on him but with that some of his stuff is back home. We do have a screen lid but we use foil and cut out where the lights and CHE goes. I need all the coaching I can get, that thanks for the help and if you see anything else please don't hesitate to let me know!