Only Sphagnum moss?

J.T.

Location (City and/or State)
Berlin, Germany
I recently got some sphagnum moss, to keep my baby Hermann's enclosure a little moister and I just love the stuff. It's moist, it doesn't get in her eyes, it's easy to spot poo and pick it up, nothing gets messy... Right now I've devided the enclosure. I have 2/3 filled with coco coir and 1/3 with the moss. The substrates are seperated by volcanic rocks so the tortoise needs to walk over a bridge to get to the other side. I was hoping that would be enough to keep the coco out of the moss, but she just drags the stuff everywhere and get's the moss all dirty. Now I'm wondering if it's ok to just toss the coco out and fill the entire enclosure with moss? Has anyone ever used spagnum moss by itself? Could it be too moist?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I use new Zealand sphagnum moss alone by itself for baby box turtles and I love it. When they are adults their enclosures are too big and the moss too expensive to do that. But yes, You can. It's not too moist. Just keep it damp and not dripping wet. You can wring it out like a sponge.