One more question concerning substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesktw0

5 Year Member
I have a nice block of coco coir for bedding, but wanted to know if I should mix it with something else like cypress mulch, soil? Are leopard tortoises as big of diggers as Sulcatas? Thanks
Chelsea

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Leopard tortoise's rarely dig (that's one reason why I got a Leopard instead of a Sulcata, Sulcata's dig waaaaay more) so for a baby the dirt doesn't have to be deep. I would just stick with just coco coir :)

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
cesktw0 said:
I have a nice block of coco coir for bedding, but wanted to know if I should mix it with something else like cypress mulch, soil? Are leopard tortoises as big of diggers as Sulcatas? Thanks
Chelsea
I have a russian abd I use a combonation of coco and forest floor bedding mixed together. She can burrow just fine and its not quite as messy as just coco. Also people use coco and sand. But I am not sure about leopards.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would mix the two but it's up to you what work's best for you :)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
There's no right or wrong answer here. Both options will work great! Yes Leopards aren't huge diggers but the substrate should still be at least their body size deep. Preferably twice their size.

Status
Not open for further replies.