Omg. It's so tiny.

JourneyN15

Yes, I know it's advised not too, but how else do I learn without interfering? Novelty will where off.
I have 33 redfoot eggs. From all these I thought 2 were maybe's. This is hatchling is one of the maybe's.
I got so many different looking eggs, I'm struggling to know what's what, I guess that comes with experience. I threw one a way yesterday, it was obviously empty(very light in weight) and vertically transparent when lit up, I reckon I've got a few like that. Some look like they have dark shadows in them, guessing these are infertile and the shadows are just goo.
I've only seen vains in one egg. Some have stopped chaulking half way.
What made me think this one was fertile is after chaulking (weeks after)I could see half the top half of the egg was darker when lit up. I have another like that and about 4 that I'm thinking could be.
I've got one egg that is mega dark in color, probably rotten.
That is so exciting! I love the dark coloring of your first!
Don't throw the dark looking eggs away yet. Out of the 8 eggs I incubated this season two of them were bad and I knew it because they both started to grow mold on them, they both smelled and looked like this when candled:

IMG_3501 (640x480).jpg IMG_2439 (480x640).jpg
The ones of mine that went on to hatch did darken and looked full when candled like this:
IMG_2308 (640x480).jpg
Also, none of my 8 chalked more than half way.
I carefully placed the two I thought were bad in a small container by themselves but still in the incubator. I tried to give them a chance to develop, but in their own container so if they did explode, it was all contained. When I started noticing a foul odor coming from the incubator when I raised the lid, I knew they needed to be discarded.

I with you. Lol I'm a candler but only so I can learn and document. I never pick the eggs, but only crack the lid, snap a photo, and close the lid. Sometimes it takes a helper, but sometimes not.

JourneyN15

What temp did you incubate at?
I have probes in my lidded containers in the incubator. I kept the temperature at 85 degrees. I also have an analog thermometer in the incubator itself, as a safeguard. It reads about 83-84 degrees. I've kept the humidity about 85 percent. I actually need to add a little water to the corner of my egg container to bring the humidity up just a little.

IMG_4868 (480x640).jpg
IMG_4867 (480x640).jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
That is so exciting! I love the dark coloring of your first!
Don't throw the dark looking eggs away yet. Out of the 8 eggs I incubated this season two of them were bad and I knew it because they both started to grow mold on them, they both smelled and looked like this when candled:

View attachment 173008 View attachment 173010
The ones of mine that went on to hatch did darken and looked full when candled like this:
View attachment 173011
Also, none of my 8 chalked more than half way.
I carefully placed the two I thought were bad in a small container by themselves but still in the incubator. I tried to give them a chance to develop, but in their own container so if they did explode, it was all contained. When I started noticing a foul odor coming from the incubator when I raised the lid, I knew they needed to be discarded.

I with you. Lol I'm a candler but only so I can learn and document. I never pick the eggs, but only crack the lid, snap a photo, and close the lid. Sometimes it takes a helper, but sometimes not.
Just need to confirm.
Did all 3 of these eggs end up fertile?

Thanks for the info.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It maybe useful or useless information, but thought I'd share.

This guy was 20g when he hatched. 48days later he weighs 35g and the egg tooth is all but gone, I can just see the tiny tiny pointed bit left. (not sure if you can see it on the photo's). It also proves to me the tooth is absorbed as they grow, not fall off which I have read before.
IMG_1239 (2).JPG IMG_1240 (2).JPG

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Good work! That shows you doing everything right with the small cabonarias ;)