olive oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Jacqui said:
The "harm" I see in doing this is that we are failing our tortoises, if we feel we need to do this. The first failure is that we are not providing what our tortoises actually need and are using this as a cheap and easy fix to that problem. Second failure is, if we are doing this to make our tortoises more eye pleasing rather then more natural in looks. Just my opinion.

Well said!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
...plus just thinking that whatever is put on their shells will soak off in their water soak/drinking dish and thus the potential for ingestion....ooo ick :{~

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
maybe consider finding a plant that the tortoise would encounter in nature for moisture? I have not done any research and don't know if moisturizing the shell is needed but i do know that many cactus like prickly pear have moisturizing properties and i would imagine the excess would be more easily washed off... might be worth some one looking into? i don't know i am still a very new owner. just had a idea and thought i would throw it out there... maybe even learn if its a bad idea?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Madkins007 said:
Jacqui said:
The "harm" I see in doing this is that we are failing our tortoises, if we feel we need to do this. The first failure is that we are not providing what our tortoises actually need and are using this as a cheap and easy fix to that problem. Second failure is, if we are doing this to make our tortoises more eye pleasing rather then more natural in looks. Just my opinion.

Well said!

I totally agree!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am still wondering if Emu Oil would be a better choice. It should be closer to their skin oils, I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.