Old turtle tail injury

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
My friend has a turtle and she is very old, around 35+, and i just noticed while i was over her house that she had a bit of tail missing or something and i tried to tell her but she's like "oh she's just old" but is texting me now that it does look bad. They have had her in the same tank her whole life, only a 10gallon with a few bricks for a basking platform and an aquarium light and a h.o.b filter. She also seems to be overweight as you can see in the pic. I advised for her to get a new tank because her family honestly didn't know how to take care of a turtle and her family just took it from a family member and have had her ever since, but told her not to simply because i was worried that she would get too stressed out and might even die from the change of everything and then only have her for a few more years. She is a musk turtle and here are some pics of the tail damage. Thanks!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727732.391136.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you get better pictures. I can't see what you are talking about. I am only on an iPhone though. If it looks like it is irritated/red some neosporin can be put on it. Otherwise if it's been like you say it is for quite some time, it may just be the way it's going to stay. A much bigger tank is needed though, the poor thing. A ten gallon is too small for even a single gold fish

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you can get better pictures it would help. Looks like a very overweight musk turtle, but hard to tell by photo. Female musks do have a pretty short almost button of a tail, but can't see what you are referring to with this photo. Picture of whole turtle, another one of bottom view of turtle, and another in focus closeup of tail would help a lot!