Odd turtle symptoms....any thoughts/suggestions?

Tatergirl09

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
Hey all! I'm new to the forum, so first off thanks for all the help in advance :)

I have a small aquatic turtle, Gamra, not sure how old or what type (read my bio for more info). In the last month, maybe a little more he has been sleeping and hanging in the water much more, almost all day... Hardly dry docking at all. My profile pic is what he used to do... Sprawl out under that bulb for hours.

I'm noticing his shell is turning more and more white...especially the underside. I can post most pics if needed. The bottom doesn't feel soft or smell or anything like. But I do notice also that he is blinking must slower as well. What's up? And what should I do?

Thanks again!!!!!!!! I have so much gratitude for any and all support! :)

Brionna

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
the species is a western painted turtle. thats all i can help you with I'm more of a tortoise person my knowledge on turtles is very limited on turtles. posting some of the enclosure pictures may help the diagnosis.:) are you using a uvb light? whats the water and basking spot temps? whats the diet?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey all! I'm new to the forum, so first off thanks for all the help in advance :)

I have a small aquatic turtle, Gamra, not sure how old or what type (read my bio for more info). In the last month, maybe a little more he has been sleeping and hanging in the water much more, almost all day... Hardly dry docking at all. My profile pic is what he used to do... Sprawl out under that bulb for hours.

I'm noticing his shell is turning more and more white...especially the underside. I can post most pics if needed. The bottom doesn't feel soft or smell or anything like. But I do notice also that he is blinking must slower as well. What's up? And what should I do?

Thanks again!!!!!!!! I have so much gratitude for any and all support! :)

Brionna

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html

It is imperative that you treat this turtle....please do follow the link info as closely as possible.....I looked at your other thread and it would appear that something was around the middle of the turtle, like constricting its growth---you know what I mean? Glad you happened upon one another....it may have had a low grade infection when you first brought the turtle in and slowly progressed to what may be affecting him now.....pretty little turtle...I hope you are able to wrangle the condition in quickly....

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
the species is a western painted turtle. thats all i can help you with I'm more of a tortoise person my knowledge on turtles is very limited on turtles. posting some of the enclosure pictures may help the diagnosis.:) are you using a uvb light? whats the water and basking spot temps? whats the diet?

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I will include some additional pictures. I'm using the red bulb (that's UVB right?)...the water temp is between 78-80. I'm not sure of the temp of the lamp...I keep it on high through the night and lower it during the day. He eats ground top sirloin, I've tried everything else... He apparently has high standards. I do have live plants in there as well which he eats. About a month ago it was suggested by the vet that I give him feeder fish, so have integrated those buggers in too. They sure do messy up the rank quicker!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 31

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html

It is imperative that you treat this turtle....please do follow the link info as closely as possible.....I looked at your other thread and it would appear that something was around the middle of the turtle, like constricting its growth---you know what I mean? Glad you happened upon one another....it may have had a low grade infection when you first brought the turtle in and slowly progressed to what may be affecting him now.....pretty little turtle...I hope you are able to wrangle the condition in quickly....

Hi Angela! Thanks so much for the link, I will read it over and follow for sure! I'm not sure what you're referencing "around the middle of the turtle constricting growth". He has shed most of his first shell... We had to epoxy fiberglass to his shell at the end of 2013 when my husband and I found him. Is that what you might be seeing? I will need Tom ook through my pictures again. I hope nothing is restricting his growth.... I would feel terrible about that! Keep you posted on my progress with treatment. Thank you so much Angela!!!!

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
Hi Angela! Thanks so much for the link, I will read it over and follow for sure! I'm not sure what you're referencing "around the middle of the turtle constricting growth". He has shed most of his first shell... We had to epoxy fiberglass to his shell at the end of 2013 when my husband and I found him. Is that what you might be seeing? I will need Tom ook through my pictures again. I hope nothing is restricting his growth.... I would feel terrible about that! Keep you posted on my progress with treatment. Thank you so much Angela!!!!

Angela.... I've got a question regarding how the "conditions" can cause shell. He has not been basking that much or dry docking. He sleeps in the water almost all night and remains there most of the day. I mean he is active and swims around but he is not basking like he used to? Thoughts on how to support most basking?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I will include some additional pictures. I'm using the red bulb (that's UVB right?)...the water temp is between 78-80. I'm not sure of the temp of the lamp...I keep it on high through the night and lower it during the day. He eats ground top sirloin, I've tried everything else... He apparently has high standards. I do have live plants in there as well which he eats. About a month ago it was suggested by the vet that I give him feeder fish, so have integrated those buggers in too. They sure do messy up the rank quicker!
not all red bulbs are uvb. also i would replace the red bulb with a good clear light uvb bulb. give him large amounts of variety like worms, crickets, turtle pellets.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
not all red bulbs are uvb. also i would replace the red bulb with a good clear light uvb bulb. give him large amounts of variety like worms, crickets, turtle pellets.

Thank you! I will look for a different bulb. I've tried the worms and pellets, he doesn't eat them. I appreciate your suggestions and will continue to keep trying :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Angela.... I've got a question regarding how the "conditions" can cause shell. He has not been basking that much or dry docking. He sleeps in the water almost all night and remains there most of the day. I mean he is active and swims around but he is not basking like he used to? Thoughts on how to support most basking?

The red night/heat bulbs are good for night time heat if you want to encourage the turtle to dry dock itself.....however, there is no uva/uvb in those bulbs....so a mercury vapor bulb is ok...or you can get a long tube uva/uvb bulb along with a second basking bulb to lure the turtle to the dock to dry out and bask....it is essential that a turtle be able to draw itself out onto a place to dry himself out and his shell....otherwise the shell can get undesired growth on it....

I would back off of the sirloin and begin to replace it with worms and shrimp designed for the turtle...the sirloin (unless organic) has so many negative pats to it....so many items fed to the animal before slaughter in order to keep it from infection and bacterial issues....along with low grade high volume feed.....

I would not allow the turtle to dictate what you offer it as a good balance diet....you will need to be the one in charge of that menu....

Randi

Canada
You can offer pellets in the morning. I'd offer prawn, krill, or mysis - all bought frozen and thawed in warm water. I'd feed in a separate tub filled with enough water to cover them. Keeps your tank cleaner.

Be careful with feeder fish - kept in very unsanitary conditions and are often treated with copper sulfate which can harm a turtle. I'd avoid goldfish and minnows. Zebra danios, guppies, mollies, platies, etc make good feeders. You can have them in the tank with him and your turtle will eat them eventually or feed them to him in a separate tub to keep the tank cleaner. Ghost/Glass shrimp are yummy too. You can do mealworms, and night crawlers. If your guy will eat safe aquatic plants, continue to offer. Keep offering everything yours doesn't want to eat. They should get the point eventually.

Something is definitely up with it's shape and it's plastron - the body also looks warped. I'd agree with something being placed around the turtle and constricting regular expansion. You may have a little fungus on the plastron if your turtle isn't basking. A visit to an experienced reptile vet would be a good thing I think.

Do you give calcium at all? Throw in a chunk of cuttlebone. You also need lighting that mimics sunlight. Although nothing is as good as the real thing, I use a t5 Aquatic Life fixture. Mine is 36" inches long. I have it paired with a 50 watt basking bulb for his basking spot on his "land" area.

Water quality needs to be looked at as well if not yet done. I'd change out almost all of the water in the tank, if not all of it.

Hope things look up for this turtle! Good luck and best of wishes to you and yours.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
The shape of the shell is due to the diet. I've seen the skinny "waist" and marginal flaring on multiple occasions with Chrysemys. Too much protein and fat. That needs to change ASAP. Turtles do NOT need to eat much, honestly, but the diet does need to be appropriate for the species. This varies from one species from another, so do some more research into proper diets for Chrysemys. Like sliders, as they grow, Chrysemys will begin eating much more plant matter, more plants than sources high in protein. You're saying you feed primarily fatty protein, which isn't even healthy for carnivorous species.

You're turtle may be sick, as well. What are the temperatures of your water and of the room in which the turtle is being kept? He could be slowing down because of the temps, or because he is sick. Making a few adjustments and getting us the temps can help in that determination, but that's not a definite.

He is a boy, too, just in case you didn't know that.

Good luck to you and your turtle.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
You can offer pellets in the morning. I'd offer prawn, krill, or mysis - all bought frozen and thawed in warm water. I'd feed in a separate tub filled with enough water to cover them. Keeps your tank cleaner.

Be careful with feeder fish - kept in very unsanitary conditions and are often treated with copper sulfate which can harm a turtle. I'd avoid goldfish and minnows. Zebra danios, guppies, mollies, platies, etc make good feeders. You can have them in the tank with him and your turtle will eat them eventually or feed them to him in a separate tub to keep the tank cleaner. Ghost/Glass shrimp are yummy too. You can do mealworms, and night crawlers. If your guy will eat safe aquatic plants, continue to offer. Keep offering everything yours doesn't want to eat. They should get the point eventually.

Something is definitely up with it's shape and it's plastron - the body also looks warped. I'd agree with something being placed around the turtle and constricting regular expansion. You may have a little fungus on the plastron if your turtle isn't basking. A visit to an experienced reptile vet would be a good thing I think.

Do you give calcium at all? Throw in a chunk of cuttlebone. You also need lighting that mimics sunlight. Although nothing is as good as the real thing, I use a t5 Aquatic Life fixture. Mine is 36" inches long. I have it paired with a 50 watt basking bulb for his basking spot on his "land" area.

Water quality needs to be looked at as well if not yet done. I'd change out almost all of the water in the tank, if not all of it.

Hope things look up for this turtle! Good luck and best of wishes to you and yours.
Hi! And thank you :)... Where would I look at getting these types of fish if not at a pet store? He does love the hunt! The separate tub thing does not work....I've tried several times. I think it stresses him out too much. I don't mind cleaning my tank... I actually put all new water in every week, cleaning everything inside it as well along with the tank. Usually halfway through the week I drain as much out and fill with clean water too. I will definitely get a cuttlebone! Could you send me a picture of how you have your lights please? I'd like to get a visual to better understand. Thanks again fora,l your thoughts!!!
--brionna

Delilah1623

Trying turning the water heater down a little. If the water is too warm the turtle won't come out to bask. Low to mid 70's for the water temperature.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
The shape of the shell is due to the diet. I've seen the skinny "waist" and marginal flaring on multiple occasions with Chrysemys. Too much protein and fat. That needs to change ASAP. Turtles do NOT need to eat much, honestly, but the diet does need to be appropriate for the species. This varies from one species from another, so do some more research into proper diets for Chrysemys. Like sliders, as they grow, Chrysemys will begin eating much more plant matter, more plants than sources high in protein. You're saying you feed primarily fatty protein, which isn't even healthy for carnivorous species.

You're turtle may be sick, as well. What are the temperatures of your water and of the room in which the turtle is being kept? He could be slowing down because of the temps, or because he is sick. Making a few adjustments and getting us the temps can help in that determination, but that's not a definite.

He is a boy, too, just in case you didn't know that.

Good luck to you and your turtle.
Hi Anthony! Thank you :) I did know he was a boy.... It's because of his nail size right? I'm hearing a lot about what I'm feeding him. I will definitely continue to adjust and pull back on my current feeding regiment. My water temp is between 78-80 and my house sits around 67-70 on average. His tank is next to a window so from 1-4 he's git direct sunlight which heats up his corner to about 75-80 during that time. I also have a uvb bulb on to around 85-90 degrees over this "basking/dry dock area". I have a vet appointment for Friday so will keep you all posted on what's said.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
Trying turning the water heater down a little. If the water is too warm the turtle won't come out to bask. Low to mid 70's for the water temperature.
Ah!!!! I've thought about that but everyone is saying it needs to be around 80. Thanks! I feel like I'm experiening what it's like to have children.... So many different ways but never the perfect way to "reare".

Delilah1623

I keep my painteds around 72. It should be higher for babies but for an adult in the mid to low 70's is fine.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Angela welcome to the TFO from AZ. I have a few painted turtles first I keep mine in a pond outside and boy are they like children you can feed them candy all day and they are happy . But I've had mine for 15 years they get vegys in the am , then they get mixed insects , and then they get dry food for the third feeding in a day . But most important as you said you are the parent !