Nutritional Value

AdamStage

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hudson, Michigan
I was thinking of vacuum sealing and freezing pumpkin, Mazuri and dandelion greens blended together. I have considered other things as well. But I don't know if freezing it will lesson its nutritional value. Anybody have any insight? I know freezing leafy greens turns to mush. But blended together it's already mush.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I freeze pumpkin, Mazuri dry, and I have just did the vacuum sealing of the cactus and I did some greens. I didn't put the greens in the freezer though, just the frig. I did do some cactus in tiny pieces, placed on cookie sheet and froze. When thawed it's not as mushy as the larger pieces. I have no clue how much nutrients is lost. However, I figure a lot less then if I didn't have it at all or if I had cooked it in a way to then freeze it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If I am not mistaken, most of the nutritional value lost in the freezing process comes from the blanching that veggies get to preserve color. When frozen properly, fruits actually maintain their nutrition better than fresh fruits that lose value as they rippen off the vine. So, freeze away. Also, I am sure if Will sees this post he will know for sure. I have seen some amazing insight into nutritional issues come from him.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
If I am not mistaken, most of the nutritional value lost in the freezing process comes from the blanching that veggies get to preserve color. When frozen properly, fruits actually maintain their nutrition better than fresh fruits that lose value as they rippen off the vine. So, freeze away. Also, I am sure if Will sees this post he will know for sure. I have seen some amazing insight into nutritional issues come from him.

Will is on point with nutrition. Learned some good stuff from him.