not ready for another tortoise yet

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi guys I am not ready to get a new Tortoise yet. ( lost mine yesterday) but I do want another one. Here is the thing I love the little russians. Now I see that most adults are wild caught. I do not want a wild caught one. I also do not know if a hatchling is right for me. I know if that is the route I go you guys will help me work out everything. I am willing to learn and listen before I make my decision. I am home pretty much 24/7 so I have the time to care for any that I get. I do know that I want a male. I am very nervous about getting a new one. I know that the one I lost was a fluke and there was nothing that I could have done. I want things perfect before I get a new one. Perfect bedding, perfect everything. I know you guys can help with that. But I also know it depends on what I get. So many decisions. There is a reptile show on Feb. 15th that my husband is taking me to. Never been to one. I want to know if this is a good place to get a new family member or from someone trusted from this site. Thanks a bunch guys

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Reptile shows are a decent source to get tortoises from. It really depends on who's there. Some very good breeders go there, but the opposite can also be said. I would get your next baby from a good breeder once you decide your ready. Many here can give good references on those breeders.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Adult Russians are available as rescues all the time too. Try Craigslist. They do require large enclosures though despite being small. Good luck deciding.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, but you could always get one from a rescue or craigslist (like stated above) yes the probability is they're wild caught, but they're in need of a home now and its different than buying one from a petstore and supporting the wild pet trade (I'm guilty...). I plan to get future tortoises from craigslist or rescues, the idea of hacthlings I like but its just too much for me to handle so I personally cant do it. Adult male Russians are literally everywhere if you decided craigslist or a rescue was a route you wanted to take.
(my Nank even though being wild caught is a huge ball of personality, he just had to get used to me first)

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East

Heather H

N.E. ohio

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom is raising some russians, however, I think it will be a few more years before he will be breeding any, but not positive. You may want to convo him and have a talk. The wild caught ones are what you will find most adults to be. The craigslist does usually always have russians needing rehoming. Good luck with your search when your ready.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
my personal experience with hatchlings i say if you get it all going right then you have no worries really that's just me i got my tortoise as a hatchling almost a year ago when he was 2-3 months old i've had no problems because i've gotten great advice and paid attention to what i was doing and did research before hand

it is kinda cool to watch a hatchling grow and most hatchlings/juvies are normally CB now