not a sad story

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So I get a call from a gal who wanted to let me (the turtle rescue) know that someone stole her tortoise and keep my eyes open for it. She had put signs up all over the neighborhood, knocked on neighbors doors, etc. Did everything she could, however she really felt that the tortoise was stolen because the gate was shut, the fence was secure and there was no place where the tortoise could have gotten out.

A week later I called her to see if she had gotten the tortoise back, and she sounded a bit embarrassed, but relayed her story:

It seems that the gardener had been to her property the day the tortoise went missing and while he was mowing, etc. he left the door to the tool shed open. Naturally, when he was finished, he closed the door. When he came back the next week to work again, he found the tortoise in the tool shed!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Wow. And thank goodness that tool shed did not fry her tortoise. Wow. Oh the endless possibilities on how they can become lost.
Happy endings are great! : )

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
Same thing happened to my cat when she was 8 months old. Thank goodness it wasn't a hot week in California. Glad she got her baby back.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That sounds a lot like when my wife called me at work: and said my tort layed a egg without a shell one night! I ask her agin what happened ? And she repeated ? Your tort layed a egg without a shell ! I ask her to describe it she said it had no shell and no yoke ! I ask her if she tryed to pick it up ? She said no : so I told her it wasn't a egg . I told her it was the torts " P " then she wanted to yell ! But know we laugh at it !

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yea .... Happy Endings! ...... I have some pretty good stories like that ... almost too funny to share.!:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Please tell the stories you can just keep in mind not all of us are over 50 yrs old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
So I get a call from a gal who wanted to let me (the turtle rescue) know that someone stole her tortoise and keep my eyes open for it. She had put signs up all over the neighborhood, knocked on neighbors doors, etc. Did everything she could, however she really felt that the tortoise was stolen because the gate was shut, the fence was secure and there was no place where the tortoise could have gotten out.

A week later I called her to see if she had gotten the tortoise back, and she sounded a bit embarrassed, but relayed her story:

It seems that the gardener had been to her property the day the tortoise went missing and while he was mowing, etc. he left the door to the tool shed open. Naturally, when he was finished, he closed the door. When he came back the next week to work again, he found the tortoise in the tool shed!

I have had similar things happen. Its nerve wracking! Glad she found her tortoise unharmed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There's been a few stories of a gardener leaving gates open. Good thing this one at least didn't leave the gate open. But it could have been bad. Glad it wasn't, but I think my gardener, if I had one, would get a good reminder of what and who is important in the yard.