Nose bubbles!!

Tort2626

Last week my tort got 3 injections for acute pneumonia (allergic cold). Although he is showing a great improvement, still some bubble pop out ocassionally espicially when we pick him up or when he gets up from sleep. Is he scared, or is he still suffering.. well we think that he is scared.last week he was in lot of stress because of injections.
He is an Indian star tortoise..
Eating well as compared to last week. There is no persistent flow from nose..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are your temps, day and night? What is the humidity and are you giving warm soaks? A pic of the enclosure and the answers to the questions will help us to help you find the reason he got sick

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Last week my tort got 3 injections for acute pneumonia (allergic cold). Although he is showing a great improvement, still some bubble pop out ocassionally espicially when we pick him up or when he gets up from sleep. Is he scared, or is he still suffering.. well we think that he is scared.last week he was in lot of stress because of injections.
He is an Indian star tortoise..
Eating well as compared to last week. There is no persistent flow from nose..

Did the vet address the cause of the problem, or is he/she only treating the symptoms?

Stars like it hot. They get sick when it isn't hot enough, usually at night.

Tort2626

What are your temps, day and night? What is the humidity and are you giving warm soaks? A pic of the enclosure and the answers to the questions will help us to help you find the reason he got sick
Temp. Is around 32deg the whole day..we give him warm soaks daily once.
Enclosure is kind of tub..but he always stays on the floor. He jumps out of the tub

Tort2626

Did the vet address the cause of the problem, or is he/she only treating the symptoms?

Stars like it hot. They get sick when it isn't hot enough, usually at night.
He is treating on the basis of symptoms.
First he gave him amoxycillin almost for a whole month of April. The last 3 injections were of OTC.. he will now go for a swab culture in coming week if symptoms persist

Tort2626

Humidity is at its peak..75%. afternoon temp is around 36 and the rest of the day 32.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Temp. Is around 32deg the whole day..we give him warm soaks daily once.
Enclosure is kind of tub..but he always stays on the floor. He jumps out of the tub

When indoors, they need a basking area that is around 37 C.

What are you using for night heat? Cool nights are the usual cause of respiratory infection. 32 is good for a daytime ambient temp, but they still need the hotter area for basking. I would not let the night temp drop below 27 under normal circumstances, and I wouldn't let it drop below 29 for a tortoise fighting RI.

Be sure and soak daily at these higher temps to prevent dehydration.

Tort2626

When indoors, they need a basking area that is around 37 C.

What are you using for night heat? Cool nights are the usual cause of respiratory infection. 32 is good for a daytime ambient temp, but they still need the hotter area for basking. I would not let the night temp drop below 27 under normal circumstances, and I wouldn't let it drop below 29 for a tortoise fighting RI.

Be sure and soak daily at these higher temps to prevent dehydration.
We keep a uvb light at night. Temp at night here never goes below 30C. Is it okay if I give him steam vapours??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We keep a uvb light at night. Temp at night here never goes below 30C. Is it okay if I give him steam vapours??

UV heat lams should only be on during the day time. They need it dark at night. The sun needs to set every day.

Check this out. I typed it up for sulcatas and leopards, but care for stars is the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tort2626

UV heat lams should only be on during the day time. They need it dark at night. The sun needs to set every day.

Check this out. I typed it up for sulcatas and leopards, but care for stars is the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Okay thanks a lot..
How many hours of basking is to be done? Because he avoids basking, always moves into a dark shady place.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Okay thanks a lot..
How many hours of basking is to be done? Because he avoids basking, always moves into a dark shady place.
Basking lamps and UVB lamps should be on for 12-14 hours a day.
The usual problems with a tort that hides away all the time is either frightened or the temperatures are not what they should be.

You need a temperature gun type thermometer, inexpensive from Amazon or hardware stores, to accurately measure basking temperature.

Have we seen photos of the enclosure and lighting so we can check it over?

One further thought - is your UVB the compact CFL type (looks like a low energy light bulb with a screw thread)? These hurt tort eyes and are not recommended. Torts will hide if their eyes hurt. A fluorescent tube type UVB lamp doesn't cause problems