Normal growth? Help me :(

franz_see

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
I could try but I doubt enough water would evaporate to such a degree where the humidity would increase. What if I added plants? Why are you against humidifiers?

I dont remember the exact math for this, and i dont know the dimensions of your enclosure (you probably mentioned it just didnt notice), but based on your pics. I'd say evaporating 1 liter of water should increase your humidity to 100% at 35c (assuming 0 leakage - which is impossible). What I was never able to figure out before though was the effect of the ventilation holes on an enclosure. Alternatively, you can seal everything off, and put plants in and rely on those to convert carbon to oxygen again :)

franz_see

Philippines
Yes.
Yes. Though I will buy some tomorrow since my old ones are coming off.
Yes (and the door closed at night as well)

I'd love to know whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Also, check your hygrometers. They can be way off. You can try to put your hygrometers to a salt test http://m.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer . If your hygrometers are adjustable, then great - you can calibrate them accordingly.

If not, you'd just have to do some mental math when reading them - that is, if your salt test ended with 68%, then that means, every time you read your hygrometer, you add 7% to it to get your actual humidity.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Re-caulked some areas, weather stripped...added some sphangnum moss....and added two tubs.....we'll see in a few hours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It took me a minute of looking them over, but I see the difference.

You made your lid quite a bit differently than mine. My lids sit like a cap with a rim that sticks over the top of the box. The roof of my lid rests on the weather stripping that rests on the top rim of the box.

With the position of your hinges and the way your lid sits, you are losing more heat and humidity out the top than I am. That coupled with the big heater in a relatively small box. I run that size heater in a 4x8 box. If we had one of those FLIR scopes that sees heat, I bet this would be obvious.

There is nothing wrong with your box or lid articulation. It is just different than mine, and that would likely account for the differences in humidity retention we are seeing.

thegame2388

5 Year Member

You made your lid quite a bit differently than mine. My lids sit like a cap with a rim that sticks over the top of the box. The roof of my lid rests on the weather stripping that rests on the top rim of the box.

With the position of your hinges and the way your lid sits, you are losing more heat and humidity out the top than I am. That coupled with the big heater in a relatively small box. I run that size heater in a 4x8 box. If we had one of those FLIR scopes that sees heat, I bet this would be obvious.

There is nothing wrong with your box or lid articulation. It is just different than mine, and that would likely account for the differences in humidity retention we are seeing.

Interesting. Currently I'm at 94% humidity...so either my method has worked or my sensor is a bit wet lol

thegame2388

5 Year Member

You know what else grinds my gears? When the Zoomed Hygrometer and my other humidity monitor show different % values....in my case, the Zoo Med is incorrect so I moved the sensor around. It's currently blasting humidity (its reading is 50%) when my separate monitor shows 95%.

franz_see

Philippines
You know what else grinds my gears? When the Zoomed Hygrometer and my other humidity monitor show different % values....in my case, the Zoo Med is incorrect so I moved the sensor around. It's currently blasting humidity (its reading is 50%) when my separate monitor shows 95%.

Lol. If they're showing huge difference, then at least one of them is way off :) Or, like you said, the later is just wet inside :p

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Lol. If they're showing huge difference, then at least one of them is way off :) Or, like you said, the later is just wet inside :p

Yeah I put in 5 sensors in now, and 1 of them is a bit off...so I'll calibrate THAT one....Hmmm...

thegame2388

5 Year Member
He's living outside full time now, right? All of mine slow down tremendously when they move outside full time. In about another 8-12 months the growth rate will pick back up and soon after that you'll be wishing it would slow back down...

Sorry to random quote you, but if the substrate/tort is a bit most (80%+ humididty with 80F during night time), that's okay and ideal, correct?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry to random quote you, but if the substrate/tort is a bit most (80%+ humididty with 80F during night time), that's okay and ideal, correct?

That is ideal for babies. Once they start getting bigger, I back off a bit. I think it will works well for you since you keep the temps up inside the box, and your tortoise lives in such a dry climate, and can dry out all day while walking around outside all day.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
That is ideal for babies. Once they start getting bigger, I back off a bit. I think it will works well for you since you keep the temps up inside the box, and your tortoise lives in such a dry climate, and can dry out all day while walking around outside all day.

Thanks. Just to reiterate, the humidifier fogger "tube" is point right AT my tortoise...so essentially, when the sensor reads like 50% humidity inside the night box, the tortoise's actual humidity is actually 90-100% since he sleeps in the same place every night, and because the tube is pointed right at it. It's not so much the humidity of the night box 2 feet away from him that's important, from what I gather, but rather the humidity felt by the tortoise on its shell and the substrate in which he burrows/sleeps in.

This way, not only are the temps and humidity high all night, but I also don't have to crank up the fogger to 80% since I have the tube pointed right at the tortoise to achieve 80-100% humiditiy all day.

Am I right here? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Update 12/2015:

As the weather has gotten colder, there has been a remarkable decrease in activity, and the amount of time he spends outside...sometimes not at all. His temps are all fine...he just doesn't eat. Sometimes we force him out, and he'll walk around but that's always if we put him there. I know it's normal for tortoises to slow down but I really want to see him eat more! Today, I soaked him for a good hour and he pooped out these urates which kinda freaked me out:

2015_12_19_12_39_19.jpg

2015_12_19_12_42_09.jpg

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Hey, before I post my big update, I'd like to get your guys' opinion on the markings on my sulcata's shell:

20160311_124853.jpg

Look at the side of his shell. Looks like scratches?

20160311_124919.jpg

His scutes look discolored....and I think I know why.

20160311_124926.jpg

Same as the first picture.

I think I know what's up: he likes to hide under this firepit box thingy we have. It's copper colored....and he used to fit underneath it and just sleep there or poop or whatever. Now he can't, but I'm guessing before, maybe a few weeks ago, he could scrape and hurdle himself underneath. But honestly, as long as the color comes back....and as long as it's not some infection or fungus, then I'm okay.

What do you guys think?

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Update:

Feb. 27: 5290g
March 11: 5432g.

Is this normal growth for a......2.5 year old?

thegame2388

5 Year Member
The new growth looks great.

Every time I move one outside full time the growth slows tremendously for a while, even though temperatures are the same and they are already used to being outside most of the day. I don't know what does it. Keeping the night box humid and warm will help a lot.

Tom I need your reaction to my last post!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Update:

Feb. 27: 5290g
March 11: 5432g.

Is this normal growth for a......2.5 year old?

They all go through growth spurts. Did we ever determine male or female?

Up the calcium intake for the duration of this wild growth spurt.

Are you feeding lots of grass and grass hay?

thegame2388

5 Year Member
They all go through growth spurts. Did we ever determine male or female?

Up the calcium intake for the duration of this wild growth spurt.

Are you feeding lots of grass and grass hay?

1. Yes it's a male.
2. Up the calcium...meaning every meal or every week or what?
3. Enjoy these new pictures.

20160317_162449.jpg

20160317_162547.jpg

20160317_162555.jpg

20160317_162902.jpg

20160317_162912.jpg

Thoughts?