night time temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I have 4 Russian torts and one 3 three toed box turtle. Question about night time temps.
For the Russians I have heat emitters set to about 73/75 but they don't seem to sleep near the heat and sometimes one will fall asleep on the other side of the table when the light goes out and he or she is sitting on the rock. So I am wondering if I need them at all. Without them the temp its about 68/70. What do you all think?
My box turtle who is new to me, Madeline, has a basking light at 85 during the day and no heat at night. So with the damp substrate the night time temp was about 60 last night. I read that this is ok for the boxies. Do you think thats right?

Love this site. Everyone is so helpful and the information is wonderful. Love to read about all that happens to others. I seem to have so many questions that books cannot answer.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
As long as the temps are above 65 you do not need heat at night, I only use heat on two at night and they are either really tiny or sick, other then that they all sleep fine, the russians and the boxie will burrow under if it gets to chilly for them, in fact my russians sleep under the aspen, they go under about 6pm and come up at about 8 or so in the am and my lights are on from 6:30a to 7:30p. The boxies snuggle into the dirt and sleep away. Just make sure the temps at night are 65 deg or warmer. Also do you use uvb bulbs on them? Here is a good site for your Boxie.. www.boxturtlesite.info and www.russiantortoise.org.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
As long as the temps are above 65 you do not need heat at night, I only use heat on two at night and they are either really tiny or sick, other then that they all sleep fine, the russians and the boxie will burrow under if it gets to chilly for them, in fact my russians sleep under the aspen, they go under about 6pm and come up at about 8 or so in the am and my lights are on from 6:30a to 7:30p. The boxies snuggle into the dirt and sleep away. Just make sure the temps at night are 65 deg or warmer. Also do you use uvb bulbs on them? Here is a good site for your Boxie.. www.boxturtlesite.info and www.russiantortoise.org.

yeah I use UVB lights. Last night the temp was 65ish? Kinda hard to read those tiny gauges. Guess it depends upon how damp the soil is. Thanks for the response. Appreciate it

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:

thanks for the boxturtle site. visited and love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.