Newest Video

Rosemae

Please could you confirm that Georgie is boettgeri? Thanks :)

Attachments

• 1399289502784.jpg
    1399289502784.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 1399289525098.jpg
    1399289525098.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 71

tellablue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi, Chris. I have watched all of the videos and studied the diagrams in an attempt to determine the subspecies of my Hermann's tortoise. I am fairly certain that he/she is an Eastern, but there are several of the variations present that are suggestive of the Western. The "keyhole" is present on the 5th vertebral scute, the suprecaudal shield is divided, there is a black mark on the 4th vertebral scute, the line dividing something (can't think of the word you used) on the plastron makes a soft "u" shape rather than a "v" or zigzag, and the bright yellow cheek patch is present. Other than that, the other indicators point to Eastern. I am guessing that my tortoise is an Eastern with variations, but am concerned about the idea of having a bastard tortoise. I have no intention of breeding mine, but the reptile dealer that I purchased him/her from had quite a few for sale. Could you confirm the Eastern diagnosis? (It is driving me crazy that I cannot be certain after your very informative and specific research.) Thank you for taking the time to put these together.
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg GetAttachment-2.aspx.jpeg GetAttachment-3.aspx.jpeg GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you for the kind words :)

Yes yours is certainly an Eastern without any doubt and you'll notice these variations start to disappear as the tortoise grows.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Great video. Just wonderful.

Thank you. Thank you.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Certainly not westerns at all, not even a little bit . :) They are easterns and yes, female.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's a Greek tortoise, most likely Testudo graeca ibera. Not a Hermann's. Also, when referring to tortoises we use the term species and subspecies. There are no "breeds". :)

shellence06

Oh dear sorry about that, I guess I'm a beginner in the world of tortoises.. Thanks. I shall let her know.. Until next time.

Jinny

5 Year Member
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the very nice video. I actually first saw your video about identifying Eastern and Western Hermann in YouTube.

I got Herbie recently from a local pet store at a Black Friday. He is super cute. I was told that he' s born in California and about half a year old. He is now about half to one small finger size. I did some homework before purchase, and decided to get a male Western Hermann. Now after quite some reading, it appears to me Herbie is more likely an Eastern Hermann. I know it's still too early to tell gender, but I think Herbie could be a female. He only walks out of bush, when there are food or sun outside. He also has a relatively short tail. I guess you just never know till the last minute
icon_mrgreen.gif

Please let me kind if my guess is right. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 39

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Now after quite some reading, it appears to me Herbie is more likely an Eastern Hermann. I know it's still too early to tell gender, but I think Herbie could be a female.
Yes, looks like an Eastern. And they all look "female" at first, it's much too early to tell.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hi Jinny, yes Herbie is definitely an eastern. You wouldn't find a western Hermann's at a pet store. It's way too early to tell the sex even though it looks like a female. Beautiful tortoise!