Newbies of Horsfields!

mrs_chillers

Location (City and/or State)
Bath UK
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I have been given 3 Horsfield tortoises by a friend who is moving house and wanted them rehomed.

We have had them for a week now, we have 2 males and 1 female.

They are 5 years old and have always lived together in a wooden terrarium.

After doing research and joining this forum we know that they need to be split up, ASAP. We also are not convinced that the terrarium is ideal for them as it has glass sliding doors which are difficult to open and close and the tortoises sometimes press themselves up against the glass wanting to get out I suppose! So my husband has made a great table for Bernadette but the 2 males are still living together until my husband can make the new table for Sir Hiss. Fred is going to live with my sister in a couple of weeks and she is organising a suitable house for him.

The lamps in the current terrarium where the boys are living for the short term (basking and UV fluorescent tube) did not seem to work so we have a new basking lamp in there but the new uv tube doesn't work for some reason so we have a new 2 in 1 clip on lamp on its way from eBay. So no uv for a while. We have been putting them outside every day in a rabbit run with a lid on, what ever the weather as apparently they like rain and it's a good way to hydrate them(?) but we are in England so we are worried it may be getting too cold outside for them.

This week we have noticed that Fred (the smallest of the 3) has been blowing bubbles from his nose, we are worrying that this is a sign for RI but are not sure what to do. Any help and advice are most welcome.

They are all eating, drinking and pooing regularly. We feed them mostly dandelion leaves and rose petals sprinkled with calcium substrate powder.

Bernadette is always trying to escape (what can we do about this?!)

They have never hibernated either as my friend was told by the pet shop not to let them hibernate until they were 5, we are scared about hibernation as again, it's completely new to us!

We love all 3 tortoises very much and want to do what is best.

I have read quite a lot of fact sheets and so has my sister as we are all researching how to care for them properly, it's just so much to take in!

Any help welcome. Sorry for the long post. Thank you all!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't hibernate this winter. New animals or animals at risk that have been ill or injured should not hibernate.

Clamp lights are dangerous. Find a way to hang them. A mercury vapor light is good. Expensive but worth it.

There are so many additional foods they can eat, and they do need variety. Give them a cuttlebone and let them self regulate calcium intake.

mrs_chillers

Bath UK
Thank you for your reply Johnsonboswell.

Could you explain further why the clamp lights are dangerous please? As the table is open topped we though a lamp that clips on and then hangs over the side would be best. We bought quite a big bulb and fixture which is a reputable make and it wasn't cheap at all so thought we were on the right track!

mrs_chillers

Bath UK
Sorry Me again!

I have just checked what we bought from the reptile pets and aquatic centre and it is a Mercury Vapour bulb. Phew. Now just the fixture point I'm worried about as you mentioned clamps are dangerous?

The new clamp light I have ordered from eBay today might not be the Mercury Vapour but I believe we have a spare one of those, just need a decent fixture for Sir Hiss' open top table!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
The problem with clamp lamps is the possibility of them falling in and either burning/hurting the tortoise or starting a fire.

mrs_chillers

Bath UK
We have just gotten back from the vets, Fred has antibiotics.

The very has advised us to definitely not hibernate them this winter and to consider not doing it at all.

She said the UK is tricky for caring for tortoises due to our temperatures. Not hot during the summer months and not cold enough for hibernation during the winter.

Thanks for the info on the clamp lights, we will bear this in mind.

I will get some cuttlefish and will look into growing a weed garden for them. :)