***newbie***

1lily0

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485880141.042780.jpg

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a gorgeous little boy who is 4 years old called Dave !! Only got him a few days ago and have found this site so helpful with helping him settle in to his new happy home. We bought/rescued him from a friend of a friend. He was housed in a tiny vivarium for the size of him and his shell is flat both sides where I presume he's just been left to walk up and down and has left his shell deformed a little :-( My partner is making him a proper housing bed until the summer where we can build him his own outside space. So my question is, will his shell rectify itself now he has space to walk and roam? Many thanks!

yillt

View attachment 198676

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a gorgeous little boy who is 4 years old called Dave !! Only got him a few days ago and have found this site so helpful with helping him settle in to his new happy home. We bought/rescued him from a friend of a friend. He was housed in a tiny vivarium for the size of him and his shell is flat both sides where I presume he's just been left to walk up and down and has left his shell deformed a little :-( My partner is making him a proper housing bed until the summer where we can build him his own outside space. So my question is, will his shell rectify itself now he has space to walk and roam? Many thanks!
Hi to you and Dave! He looks a good size for four years old. His shell isn't bad at all but with the correct housing, humidity and future smooth (no pyramiding) growth, it should correct itself although I don't see much wrong with it. Could we please see a picture of your enclosure and you will get some very helpful advice. Also, you may want to read the beginners mistakes thread which I will add the link to in a second. Good luck :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I was thinking as the picture scrolled down, what a pretty Russian tortoise! I don't see anything wrong with that shell at all. Looks perfectly normal to me, and on the very pretty side of the scale!

1lily0

We will post a picture when partners finished making it :) Yes, I've had a good read through the posts and have read some good advice, many thanks! Looking forward to sharing Daves journey with all xx

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @1lily0 and a very warm welcome to the forum.

A very sweet little tort. GOD bless.

Look forward to seeing his enclosure.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum Lily and Dave! I'm looking forward to seeing your indoor and outdoor enclosures when you have pictures to share.

1lily0

1lily0

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I was thinking as the picture scrolled down, what a pretty Russian tortoise! I don't see anything wrong with that shell at all. Looks perfectly normal to me, and on the very pretty side of the scale!
His sides aren't too bad but he's space now to roam :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485954309.175700.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My tort's sides are mostly the same. It could be a deformation, but I think it's actual normal shell growth. :) He's a very pretty little boy!! Welcome to the forum! Russians are the best. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I also see noting wrong with his shell.

1lily0

My tort's sides are mostly the same. It could be a deformation, but I think it's actual normal shell growth. :) He's a very pretty little boy!! Welcome to the forum! Russians are the best. :p
Thank you :) I thought it was because he came from previous home in a tiny vivarium with no room to walk except up and down the side walls :-( Glad I've found this forum as your help is really appreciated, thanks guys x

1lily0

If it's definitely a boy they grow to between 5 and 8 inches, so he may be fully grown or there may be a bit more to come. Girls usually grow bigger.
The tail is large, thick and tucked over to one side so I'm right in thinking he's a boy? Also a little clawlike/nail on the end of it?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the site! He is so adorable and looks fine to me too...although I don't know much.