Newbie in everything :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
BEAUTIFUL BABY!!!
Congratulations on a lovely tortoise!
I agree with what everyone has said about the betting it is no good!! Coconut or is a type of bedding like peat moss or dirt..... I will try to get a picture for you, It comes in a hard brick and you soak it in water so it expands... It will hold a lot of moisture and give your little one a place to dig!

A "terra cotta" saucer is just a clay saucer to hold water. The glazed ones are best....for a hiding place you can use a log or pot turned over.

What type if bulb do you have?

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365360637.685455.jpg
This is a three pack of coco coir (compressed coconut fiber)

Last edited by a moderator:

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
ah irwin , thx for the photo of coconut coir :D i really help me out to look for it
uhmm for the bulb
IMG-20130408-01043.jpg
this is the box of the bulb.. it say 60 watt , the seller told me that this is good enough for meter and i think it is a UV bulb because the colour

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
theelectraco said:
Those bulbs do not provide any UVB.
hi mr electraco :)
it doesn't provide UVB?! for real?
should i change it? if yes how many watt should i use?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
You can either add a tube UVB or get a Powersun or other mercury vapor bulb. Keep in mind the bulb wattage has to be supported by the wattage limit of the fixture.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
theelectraco said:
You can either add a tube UVB or get a Powersun or other mercury vapor bulb. Keep in mind the bulb wattage has to be supported by the wattage limit of the fixture.

so in other word i should add an UVB bulb, or could i just change my current bulb with an UVB bulb , so i just use one bulb

i already soak meter with warm water for 10 minutes but unfortunately it was raining so i could let him walk around in the sun
IMG-20130408-01044.jpg

i already made a dungeon for him and it seems that he like it :D
IMG-20130408-01045.jpg
IMG-20130408-01047.jpg

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Yes, you can either use your current bulb, and add a separate UVB bulb, or you can replace your curren bulb with a mercury vapor bulb (mvb) which will give you light, heat, and UVB. I would also recommend switching to a substrate that holds humidity better like coco coir or a soil type substrate. It would be a shame for such a beautiful tortoise to start pyramiding from lack of humidity.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
theelectraco said:
Yes, you can either use your current bulb, and add a separate UVB bulb, or you can replace your curren bulb with a mercury vapor bulb (mvb) which will give you light, heat, and UVB. I would also recommend switching to a substrate that holds humidity better like coco coir or a soil type substrate. It would be a shame for such a beautiful tortoise to start pyramiding from lack of humidity.

yes i agree with that , this substrate is the only thing that sold on exhibition yesterday , i'm going to look out for coco coir today and replacing the bulb with mvb just like you recommend :D

481572_4697831842741_1809765020_n.jpg
i already search for coconut coir, so is this coconut coir? i can't read what it is... , people call it coconut powder tiles

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
551287_509578149104148_1494068342_n.jpg

i already change the substrate with some coconut powder tile (that's what they say) and i already buy a new shelter for him

60604_509578482437448_1881227548_n.jpg
554089_509578735770756_750971363_n.jpg

according to electraco , i already put an UVA bulb together, and i still lack the place for meter to drink and to eat... hope tonight i could find some :D

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
You've made fantastic changes already, its so much better! While your waiting to get a permanent water dish, could you bury the water bowl you have into the substrate more? So your tortoise doesn't struggle to get in it? He should be able to just walk across it and not struggle getting out. The one you have he could flip over in so please just keep an eye on him :p or change it to something flat.
And that's a much better bulb. They need to be changed every six months as the UV wears out. A place to eat doesn't have to be a bowl. Do you know bathroom wall tiles? Or slate? You can use a piece of that. Make sure the rough side is facing upwards. These materials will grind the beak down as they eat so you won't need to do it yourself.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
every six month okay noted, just use that tile? that just great i could get it by night

522419_509595835769046_147837617_n.jpg

i don't know what is meter doing down there but should i put more substrate? so he could dig out more and completely buried him self

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
He is such a cutie!! You've done great so far :) I have a baby star too, named Kitten.

You can moisten the coconut fiber you are using with a spray bottle, or just pour some water in there. They grow better when it's humid. He has such a nice smooth shell, hopefully you can keep him growing that way. You are very lucky!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Looking great he is a lucky tortoise to have such a good owner!! The bedding looks good..... I would add more if he seems to want to dig....plus it will help with humidity!!

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365459917.657101.jpg
This is what
I use for water....

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Redari said:
He is such a cutie!! You've done great so far :) I have a baby star too, named Kitten.

You can moisten the coconut fiber you are using with a spray bottle, or just pour some water in there. They grow better when it's humid. He has such a nice smooth shell, hopefully you can keep him growing that way. You are very lucky!

thanks redari :D , so i just need to spray the substrate with water once a day? , yes i will do my best to raise him :D

Irwin4530 said:
Looking great he is a lucky tortoise to have such a good owner!! The bedding looks good..... I would add more if he seems to want to dig....plus it will help with humidity!!

This is what
I use for water....

hmmm more substrate means more humid? alright i will add more while meter is soaking him self in another :p

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
IMG-20130409-01053.jpg

meter has already been soak for 10 minutes , and i already put more substrate.
thx for everyone who help me giving important advice for me to raise meter :D i couldn't do it without you guys

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
I usually mist mine two or three times a day, but I have cypress which is a dryer type of substrate so it doesn't hold the water as well. I have some moss in one end that holds the water better.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
alright , I think I get the idea about keeping the humidity

by the way , i got some problem about the lighting, currently i'm using 2 kind of bulb , one is UVA bulb and the other one is a day light spot lamp . but according to this link

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-15040.html

it says that i don't need a UVA bulb.. but get a MVP bulb or using an incandescent bulb plus with an UVB bulb
could someone help me to translate it to an easier word to me?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
That is just saying that if your tortoise gets regular sun, you won't need a UV bulb in the indoor enclosure. UV lighting prevents metabolic bone disease, or pyramiding. Incandescent lighting/your spot bulb doesn't provide UV lighting but your other one does. Basically though, the bulbs you have are fine and if your tortoise isn't getting sun at least a few times a week, you will need your UV bulb. Your spot bulb just provides heat and light.

By the way, are you aware of your temperatures? Do you have thermometers and a hygrometer to measure humidity? You'll need to get these if not. You should have a cool side, a warm side, a basking spot, and the night time temp should be pretty warm too. I'm not sure what the temps should be for your species, so just check on the Indian Star section. Temps are vital to know as it could mean the difference between life and death for your baby. So keep an eye on them :)

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LeopardTortLover said:
By the way, are you aware of your temperatures? Do you have thermometers and a hygrometer to measure humidity? You'll need to get these if not. You should have a cool side, a warm side, a basking spot, and the night time temp should be pretty warm too. I'm not sure what the temps should be for your species, so just check on the Indian Star section. Temps are vital to know as it could mean the difference between life and death for your baby. So keep an eye on them :)

whoa that's pretty new for me , in one place i should provide 4 spot and 4 different tempt? hmm.. that's what i call challenge , i'll try post a tread in the indian star section , ah the thermometers and hygrometer i just notice it this afternoon but i don't have the time to buy it , maybe tomorrow i'll check it at ace hardware

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Ideally, you need a bigger enclosure, a longer one. So that you can make a gradient (low to high) of your temperatures. For example, mine go from 27oC to 39oC and then the basking spot is 42oC and my night temp is 24-27oC
My UV bulb creates my daytime heat at one end of the enclosure and my ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which doesn't produce light provides my night time heat. It is important your enclosure is quiet and dark and warm at night. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.