Newbie Hello From the UK

Jakki

Location (City and/or State)
Margate
Hi all,
We are from Margate, Kent in the U.K.
We are very happy owners to our first tortoise. A Horsefield approx 18mths old.
We want to give him the best possible life with us, we are unsure of the sex so refer to him as a male. He belongs to my daughter, she is only 10 so they will have many happy loving years together, but obviously I am helping her look after him. My daughter, Poppy named him Mikey. He is tiny and we love him so much already.
Poppy has read a book about keeping a tortoise as a pet and I've researched a bit on the net, but we will have loads of things to ask and who better than people with experience.
My worry currently is that he keeps just staying in one corner of his viv and moving all the chipping's out the way, I've since read that the wood chippings given to us by the pet shop aren't ideal, so today ordered from a lady on eBay Dried grass, Dandelion, Rasberry Leaves, Milk Thistle, Nettle, White Dead Nettle, Chickweed, Rose Petals, Marsh Mallow, Black Berry Leaves, Hibiscus flowers, Calendula Petals (Por Marigold) (I've copied from purchase page) to replace that, as i wouldn't be able to get to the shops until the weekend and really am concerned he isn't happy.
Here is his picture, isn't he cute?!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504181874.931351.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Jakki, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you Poppy and Mikey. :)
Yes, he is cute.
Be careful as many books contain old and outdated information, as do some on-line resources.and pet shops.
What type of wood chipping are you using ? Best substrates for this species are coco coir, fine grade orchid bark and cypress mulch.
Have a read of http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for the best up to date info.

Last edited:

Jakki

Margate
Thank you for the warm welcome.
The wood chip is called Beech chips coarse grade.
I will look at purchasing what you've recommended, thank you
Also thank you for the links to the guides, I shall read and digest this evening
So pleased I've come across this forum.
We just want Mikey to be heathy & happy and live for many many years.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That's what we want, too. :):tort:
Beech chips are not a good substrate, can't keep them moist enough and you need fine grade stuff for this little fellow.

Jakki

Margate
Thanks
I've just ordered some coco coir from amazon, due to arrive tomorrow. So will get his viv changed and hope he likes it.
What's best to put his food on?
I've currently got a small plastic plate. I need to get another water dish as read on here about pet shop ones aren't ideal.
Can I ask if I should be soaking him in water? I seen that some are doing that but I don't understand why.

TIA

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks
I've just ordered some coco coir from amazon, due to arrive tomorrow. So will get his viv changed and hope he likes it.
What's best to put his food on?
I've currently got a small plastic plate. I need to get another water dish as read on here about pet shop ones aren't ideal.
Can I ask if I should be soaking him in water? I seen that some are doing that but I don't understand why.

TIA
Put the food on a piece of rough slate,sandstone or the rough side of a tile. This helps keep beak and nails trimmed and helps to keep the substrate off the food, too.
Yes, for water use a cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer just big enough for him to soak in.
Soak him every two or three days for twenty to thirty minutes in a steep sided, opaque container so he can't see out to a level just higher than when the plastron meets the carapace. He probably won't like it at first but it's necessary to keep him hydrated. People think tortoises are desert animals, they are not, they need to be kept nice and humid. (not cold and wet) .

Jakki

Margate
Just looking in the species specific section, what species would Mikey come under please. He is a Horsefield
TIA

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What you call Horsfields in the UK are called Russians almost everywhere else.
Except Russia where they are known as Central Asian tortoises.
Go to the Mediterranean section and click on Russian tortoises.

Jakki

Margate
We're going to bath Mikey this afternoon (first time) would it be ok to let him soak in the tub whilst in the garden? We've got some nice weather here today in the U.K. Or is it best to leave him (supervised of course) indoors.
TIA

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Outside would be great! Real sun is better than any UVB bulb. Just put some sort of cover over one corner of the tub so he can be in the shade if he gets too hot.

Jakki

Margate
Thank you Taylor. I'm actually looking forward to it.
Thanks so much for the quick reply.