new

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yup! The coil-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs emit very strong rays that cause baby tortoises' eyes pain similar to snow blindness. If caught soon enough, the baby will recover in about a week. If not caught soon enough, it causes permanent blindness. Once "they" discovered this fact, the manufacturers corrected the problem, however, the bulbs were not pulled from the store shelves. So one doesn't know if he's bought a new or an old bulb. I like to use the Mercury Vapor bulb for UVB. Or you can also use the tube type fluorescent bulb. But the Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) puts out UVB and heat, so you only need the one bulb for daytime.

MVB:

upload_2015-8-18_7-45-58.jpeg

TUBE TYPE UVB:

31o4YoSBAHL.jpg

But with the tube type, you'll also need a heat source.

voggy

yvonne would you use CHE along with the MBV? is the MBV the one you would put on in the day time? along with the CHE for basking? I am losing the plot lol Not sure what to leave on at night either. Seams I should have read up before buying thought the breeder would know best!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. MVB during the day provides UVB AND Heat. CHE would be for night time heat without light.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A lot of "back yard breeders" really don't know how to tell folks how to raise the babies. They have adult tortoises that lay eggs, then they sell the babies, never having had to actually raise up a healthy baby. Caring for baby tortoises, indoors, is very different from having a group of outdoor adult tortoises. Not all breeders, but some - especially the craigslist ones. Sorry if I offend anyone. I don't mean to. Just sayin' it like it is.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hell Voggy
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439910209.913386.jpg
Not every tortoise seller is a breeder. You have to be careful now days . That's why try to get people to buy from the TFO members . They sell but also help you raise the torts . We'll have a great tort day !

voggy

hi grandpa turtle nice to meet you too. I haven't used a forum before bit overwhelmed. Now righting it all down! waiting for reply on bulbs from Yvonne she has been very helpful. The breeder keeps all sorts of reptiles they even go on the road teaching children how to look after them! baby tortoise too so cant really understand not getting right info! Still not sure about bulbs which one and what they are used for? thanks again

Lexiii

CT
No, CHE has no light just heat. I turn mine on at night when I turn the MVB off.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Hi welcome. I'm in the uk too, i get my coir from these guys as there only 5 miles from me but they ship. some times you can get it at home bargains and pound land if you have one near you it might be worth a look.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
hi grandpa turtle nice to meet you too. I haven't used a forum before bit overwhelmed. Now righting it all down! waiting for reply on bulbs from Yvonne she has been very helpful. The breeder keeps all sorts of reptiles they even go on the road teaching children how to look after them! baby tortoise too so cant really understand not getting right info! Still not sure about bulbs which one and what they are used for? thanks again
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439940242.347821.jpg
This is great for torts ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439940325.173963.jpg
This is bad for torts

voggy

Hi welcome. I'm in the uk too, i get my coir from these guys as there only 5 miles from me but they ship. some times you can get it at home bargains and pound land if you have one near you it might be worth a look.
hi jeffjeff I live in north yorkshire will have a look at home bargains and pound land you said you get it from these guys but there is no link? thanks