new with lost hingeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty77

5 Year Member
I need some help please. We have a bells hinged back tortoise and during the summer months we keep him in an outdoor enclosure in our backyard. He appears to have escaped from the enclosure and is missing. We have searched frantically but to no avail. Other than putting out a plate with his normal food, is there any way that we can put something out that might attract him to return if he has not strayed to far? We will consider any ideas no matter how far fetched.
Thank you,
Salty77

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: [split]new with lost hingeback

Hi Salty77:

Welcome to the forum (although under sad conditions :( )

May we know your name and where you are?

When a person finds a dog or cat, first thing they think of is to try to find the animal's owner. However, for some unknown reason, when they find a turtle or tortoise, they say, "oh look. A turtle. Put him in the back yard."

So your best bet is to take out a lost ad in the classified section of the paper. Put up an ad on Craig's list. Make a bunch of fliers and tack them up on the utility poles around the neighborhood, then actually go door to door. Introduce yourself and explain about your lost tortoise. How it can't live in this climate and you are very worried it might die if its not found. Its ok to kinda' lay it on thick, just in case you find the person who has the tortoise and they've been planning on keeping it.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find it. And please keep us informed.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois

I would put up flyers all over the neighborhood and in the paper. Maybe even a reward. Check under bushes and shady areas. Good luck.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

Oh my, you must b eso worried! I agree put up fliers and try craigslist, it is probably in a neighbors yard or if there are any kids in the area check with them. Good Luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

You have been given some good advice. Be sure to run the sprinklers, to look in your own yard early am and pm. Sometimes tortoises can hide right in front of your eyes. The also tend to get right up under grass clumps, so keep feeling your way across your yard (his enclosure too and all the above yard suggestions).

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country

Got a friend with a dog with a good sniffer? (maybe a coonhound) Invite them over and watch the dog closely. Might work.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada

Oh Dear
Good Luck
I know how sad this is-I lost a tortoise once.
Follow the advice and also keep an eye out in your yard-they are easy to lose.

Best of luck to you!
Louise

malp1022

5 Year Member
OH

When my daughters walked off we put up flyers and told all ther neighbors. It turned into a big tortotis hunt. The trouble with flyers is we had some kid call and say we found your tortoise smashed on the road. This was not the case. Rosie ended up coming home on her own good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.