New Western Hermann's hatchling

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
It's been a while since I've posted about my girl, Arrietty. She's now 1.5 years old and a bit of a monster at over 4" and 282 grams. She's as sweet as she can be, and has quite a spunky, personable nature.

8d362025-3c7d-4ddc-beca-c08ba71cfc20

She's really outgrown her Christmas tree bin and will be moved into a 6x3 foot Animal Plastics enclosure as soon as it arrives next month.

Arrietty enjoys about 30 minutes of outdoor grazing in her kiddie pool several days a week. The container is planted with broadleaf weed mix from Tortoise Supply.

On October 1 of last year, I celebrated her birthday by making a mini cake (comprised of Mazuri tortoise diet and some greens and such). The carrots and raspberry are not in her normal diet, I just added them for color. She's a very picky eater and as you can see in the video, was disgusted by the carrot. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
It's been a while since I've posted about my girl, Arrietty. She's now 1.5 years old and a bit of a monster at over 4" and 282 grams. She's as sweet as she can be, and has quite a spunky, personable nature.

8d362025-3c7d-4ddc-beca-c08ba71cfc20

She's really outgrown her Christmas tree bin and will be moved into a 6x3 foot Animal Plastics enclosure as soon as it arrives next month.

Arrietty enjoys about 30 minutes of outdoor grazing in her kiddie pool several days a week. The container is planted with broadleaf weed mix from Tortoise Supply.

On October 1 of last year, I celebrated her birthday by making a mini cake (comprised of Mazuri tortoise diet and some greens and such). The carrots and raspberry are not in her normal diet, I just added them for color. She's a very picky eater and as you can see in the video, was disgusted by the carrot. :)

What a GREAT video!!!!!:) :) :)
She really is GORGEOUS!!!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Can't those hanging light stands reject and be a fire hazard?
In my opinion, those particular ZooMed lamp stands are one of the most secure ways to hang your fixtures. They are made of very sturdy steel and have 3 bolts holding things in place. They also have a big wide base on the bottom of them. You can put then on the outside of your enclosure and have the enclosure sit on the base, or you can put them in your enclosure. I use 3 of them on the inside of my Hermann’s enclosure. I put a big heavy paving stone on the base of the stands to help hold them in place. They’re very secure and well worth the investment. I’ve used them on a previous enclosure as well. In the last 2 years I haven’t had an issue. Even if one of the bolts gave out, it wouldn’t ever come in contact with the substrate.

Here is a picture of 2 of the stands with the paving stones on the base before I added the substrate.

0D9E4413-079D-4743-BE0D-17D79CAA5A87.jpeg

I have more pictures of them in the thread linked below. Part way through the thread I talk about them more in response to someone if you’re interested.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
What I mean is, the metal hook on the lights fixture what if that snaps or breaks from what it’s hanging on? What if the fixture itself rejects

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
What I mean is, the metal hook on the lights fixture what if that snaps or breaks from what it’s hanging on? What if the fixture itself rejects
I guess anything is possible, but I personally don’t think it’s something to be concerned with. It’s important to keep tabs on your equipment and make sure it’s in good working order and not showing signs of weakness or wearing.