New Turtle/Tortoise Pet?

elainea

5 Year Member
Hey all,

Recently my boyfriend and I have been discussing the fact that we would love to get a new turtle or tortoise! I figured I would ask the experts to see if y'all could recommend what the best kind for us to get would be and where we could get one.

We live in North Louisiana and would be interested in building an outdoor (dog-proof) enclosure in our yard. I've had a tortoise before but am by no means an expert, so something a little more beginner-level care would be good for us I think. We have space for about a 4 foot by up to 10 foot long enclosure, with grass and some shade in one end, but we could alter grass/substrate as needed.

What do ya'll think? Any good species fit this plan, or is it unrealistic?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Read up on Red Footeds. They don't get REALLY big and require lots of humidity.....And I assume you have that. The enclosure mentioned would be on the small side for one of the larger species and even borderline for an adult R/F.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Due to your cold wet winters, you might be better off with a temperate species that could safely hibernate indoors over winter. Look into Marginated, greeks and hermanns.

RFs, or any of the other tropical species would likely need a large indoor set up for winter.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Like Tom said, anything tropical would need something special indoors for winter. The Mediterranean species would work well - I am particularly fond of greek tortoises, especially golden greeks, myself, but Russians, marginateds, and hermann's are all equally as easy to care for and vary a bit from species to species. :)

-Jen

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm a LITTLE biased, but I'd say a russian :p
They can hibernate during the winter and will do great outdoors in a large pen... however, greek and marginated tortoise make great choices. too! Marginated torts do get a little 'larger' at up to 14'' though :)