new turtle need advice

amandamb

Location (City and/or State)
mississippi
Hey everyone. I just had a new turtle table built and would like some advice on substrate. Its a all wood and basically I would like to the best substrate to use for this application. I don't have another turtle yet and I'll have to wait until shipping season starts but I want to go ahead and get everything needed. I had a coconut fiber last time but considering this table has a wood bottom I'm wondering if I can use the same.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Any damp substrate directly on a wood bottom will allow mold growth and/or warping.

Coco coir is just fine but you'll need a protective liner regardless of your substrate choice.

Many use pond liners, shower curtains or I use vinyl flooring.

amandamb

mississippi
Its funny you said that about the vinyl flooring. I was just sitting here think about that. I had a plastic bottom in my last turtle table but I bought that from someone years ago and never thought to ask them about the bottom. I was really new to it all back then. Lol

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I bought the 12"x12" sticky back tiles for less than $1 each. Cover the bottom and up the sides, then caulk all the seams. Tah-dah! And it looks nice :cool:

I've had that in place for 3 years or so, no issues yet.