New torts

Peytons torts

Ok to start off with I bought them in the UK there is four females and one male they are all adults and I'm planning on breeding them soon also the big part is their Herman tortoises one of them already laid an egg while she's going lay the rest of them in about two weeks but the rest of the tortoises are laying in about six weeks i don't have them yet since I'm still getting all the paperwork sorted out but I have an incubator and an area for the babies to go once they hatch. Since I'm only 14 I can't really sell them on the Internet so all the babies that I'm hatching are going to my local reptile store they actually buy any baby reptiles that you hatched it is not a chain pet store it's only locally

Here's a picture of the new tortsImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409433232.051650.jpg

And here are the names of them
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409433261.634592.jpg

Also can anybody give me some good tortoise incubating information like the temperature I should put the incubator at and the humidity,and how long do the eggs usually take to hatch (they are eastern Herman's by the way)

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are you legally allowed to sell any Hermann's tortoises at all when you're only 14 years old?
Hermann's tortoises are protected species under CITES, and like you said, they need paperwork. If you breed hatchlings you need to register each and everyone of them with DEFRA, to obtain a certificate that allows sale. Otherwise it's illegal. More info here.

Also, how are conditions in that reptile store? I'd rather destroy any eggs my tortoise lays than to give hatchlings to stores or people who can't provide adequate housing.

Peytons torts

They have good housing there
Uv tubes ,heat lights , good substrate , they eat fresh greens every morning and they have a hide spot the cages there are about 5' by 5' there is a breeder in town that breeds sulcatas and he is only 13 years old maybe 14 by now and he gives his babies to the reptile store and they sell out pretty quick. I started liking tortoises because if the sulcatas that were there and that Christmas I got my 2 baby hermann tortoises which are almost 2 years old now

(r.t)

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
Hello!! I'm pleased to find someone roughly my age!! And it's great to know that you are going to have babie Hermanns:D

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As for incubation information: temperature is the most important factor. Threshold temperature is 31.5°C, meaning it has equal probability of producing male and female hatchlings. Lower temperatures result in more males and slightly longer durations, wherease higher temperatures produce more females. However, too high and there's increased risk of death. You probably shouldn't go higher than 33°C. It takes around 55-60 days. Some people prefer to reduce incubation temperature during nighttime, others keep it constant. Humidy is no significant factor. Of course it should neither be dripping wet nor bone dry inside the incubator, but you don't have to aim for a narrow target like with temperature. For more details, read this.