New tortoises...

Jen88

Location (City and/or State)
West Warwick, Rhode Island
So I just got 3 tortoises today, 2 Russians and a Greek. They have all been in the same enclosure for years. I read you shouldn't mix species. Should I separate the Greek even though they're been together for years? Also, the Greek has a really bad shell, is there a way to fix it or is it too late? They're all about 6", I don't know how old they are. Also, the table they are in is about 2' wide and 4' long. Is this too small for them? Sorry about all the questions!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Tortoise do not do well in pairs. Groups are sometimes ok with a lot of space to get away from one another. The thing is is that they ar very teritorial.....seperating them all into there own space is the best for all health wise. Russians are especially know to be little bullys when kept together. Shell probs will never really go away but new growth can smooth out over time for sure. You will want to get them each a good uvb source, soak them reg and offer calcium a couple times a week. Shell problems are most common when one or more of these are neglected. Oh & welcome to the forum!

Jen88

Thank you! Should I separate all 3 of them then? The Russians are male and female and the Greek is a male if that matters. Also, is the enclosure large enough?

Alaskamike

South Florida
I think 2' x4 ' is WAY too small for a 6" tortoise. I see you are in Rhode Island. Winters coming. So no outside time. Could you build a second story to the table ? I'm trying to imagine 3, 6" tortoises in that space. By. The time to put in a water dish and a hide there's no where to walk.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think 2' x4 ' is WAY too small for a 6" tortoise. I see you are in Rhode Island. Winters coming. So no outside time. Could you build a second story to the table ? I'm trying to imagine 3, 6" tortoises in that space. By. The time to put in a water dish and a hide there's no where to walk.
Hi. Wouldnt it be a better idea to separate different species, or I am mistaken? Appreciate your answer as I'm thinking of getting a BABY tort though here I need help as far as species is concerned as I dont want "balltles" to begin: I know for sure that torts not only dont mind being alone...they like it. Appreciate an answer asap. Thanks a lot in advance your help.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi. Wouldnt it be a better idea to separate different species, or I am mistaken? Appreciate your answer as I'm thinking of getting a BABY tort though here I need help as far as species is concerned as I dont want "balltles" to begin: I know for sure that torts not only dont mind being alone...they like it. Appreciate an answer asap. Thanks a lot in advance your help.
Russians and Greeks are somewhat similar in their care, but in my opinion the biggest issue is that there are two males and one female. The males are going to keep bothering her and she will eventually get sick and possibly die. That really isn't an overstatement although it does sound like it.I and the space is way too small for even one. hi would build three separate large enclosures and let them live happily that way. And if you get another baby tortoise then that's for enclosers :)on here many people recommend 4 x 8' enclosures for one Russian.post some pictures, we all love pictures. Are you absolutely sure there are two males and one female? I only ask that because sometimes it actually is difficult to tell.if you show a picture of the underside so we can see the tail then people would be able to tell you for sure probably. Congratulations on your new tortoises :)Congratulations on your new tortoises :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
@leigti answered this very well. It's easy to start ' collecting tortoises. They are so interesting and fun But each one takes care and space. The expense and area it takes to provide a quality environment far outweighs the cost of the tort.

I want my charges to thrive not just survive. You probably feel this way too.

If you could hold off on a new baby till the issues with your adults are settled. It might be best

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to updates .
Mike

Jen88

I'm not sure if you realized the response regarding the baby was not from me. I'm not planning on getting any others until the ones I have are a suitable environment where they can be happy and thrive. I acquired all 3 of them together from someone who has had them all living together in this enclosure for over 2 years. I planned on at least separating the Greek but if there will be problems with the Russians together I will separate them as well. We also have a red foot hatchling my son has had for a few months now. These recently acquired adults are just for me :). Here are some pics. Like I said, the Greek's shell is in very rough shape, poor thing :-(. I will try to take some pictures when I get home of their tales to see if their genders are correct as well. I'm just going by what I was told. Also, the Greek's tail seems to have a nail of some sort growing out of the end and it is always curled up along his shell. Is this normal or another deformity? Thanks again!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 47

Jen88

Could I add maybe a wire cage top to give them more room to walk around? Would that be just as good for them to add or second story or would I be better off just making a larger one-story enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The little spur on the end of the tail is normal.

Jen88

You said that on one the shell looked "bad".?

The Greek is pic #2 that I posted above. His shell is very bumpy and resembles a hat, the shell seems to spread out towards the bottom. Here are a couple more pictures. They are a little blurry.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 47

Jen88

Here are a few more pics

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    987 bytes · Views: 39
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 36
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 35

Alaskamike

South Florida
Great torts ! Don't worry about the bumpy shells. They grew that way and pretty much will remain.

I would be concerned about a flip over if one decides to climb that 1/2 log. What some folks do is bury the log a bit in the substrata and build dirt up on the sides so they could actually climb over it. Actually a simple 3 sided box of plywood sometimes works better.

Good fortune with them !

Jen88

Russians and Greeks are somewhat similar in their care, but in my opinion the biggest issue is that there are two males and one female. The males are going to keep bothering her and she will eventually get sick and possibly die. That really isn't an overstatement although it does sound like it.I and the space is way too small for even one. hi would build three separate large enclosures and let them live happily that way. And if you get another baby tortoise then that's for enclosers :)on here many people recommend 4 x 8' enclosures for one Russian.post some pictures, we all love pictures. Are you absolutely sure there are two males and one female? I only ask that because sometimes it actually is difficult to tell.if you show a picture of the underside so we can see the tail then people would be able to tell you for sure probably. Congratulations on your new tortoises :)Congratulations on your new tortoises :)

Finally got some pictures of their tails. The first I was told was the "female" Russian, the second the "male" Russian and the third was the Greek "male".
Can someone tell me if this is correct? Thanks!