New Tortoise

AmyJSmith

Hi,
I bought a tortoise today for my mums Christmas. I have had it home for a few hours and its just stood still I have tried to move it towards food & water but its not interested. I have a basking lamp for it but the UV one broke on the way home (we are waiting for a new one to be delivered). Could this be the problem or is this normal behaviour?

Thanks
AJS

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It's hard to say with just what information you gave us. How warm are the temps currently on this animal? When you were coming home, what temps? How long was the trip home? How much handling have you been doing? He most likely (if temps are warm enough) just being stressed. Plus it's nothing to worry about if he does not eat the first day or two. I would suggest you giving him a warm water soak (water to the level where the two shells meet). What kind is he and how old?

AmyJSmith

Sorry it was a 2 hour journey, he has been handled a bit just getting him in. He is about 12 weeks and he is a horsefield. The vavarium is about 22*c.
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's not warm enough. A baby tortoise needs to be at least 80F degrees and warmer is even better. So, besides being afraid (why he doesn't move - he's prey and if he moves, the big bad predator might see him) he's too cold.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
What type of tortoise is he/she? (probably too young to tell!) We can give you a caresheet for him :)
What type of UVB is it? Coily and spiral like?

AmyJSmith

He is 2/3 inches. It's a strip light one? He seems a bit more lively today and he has eaten. He is a horsefield :)