new tortoise owners

jededia

Hi names jed, my spouse and i just got two tortoises, ones a red-foot and ones a Russian. The Russian is the newest, both i believe are about two to three years old. we hare in the process of building new enclosers for them right now. the red-foot is in a large fish tank which came with the purchase, and the Russian is in another encloser, both came from people that looked like they did not properly take care of them, we are super excited to have these additions to our family. We live in north Dakota so unfortunately they are limited to the outside so trying to build enclosers that they will both enjoy.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome!
You'll find some caresheets for both under species specific (or if not try a search) to help you provide the best diet for each of them and to give you ideas on what temps, humidity, substrate etc is best for either species The Enclosures thread is great for ideas, and the Beginners Mistakes will tell you what to avoid.
Lots to read and research for the two species but this is the best place for up to date information and always someone around to help if you have any question. Looking forward to hearing all about them - and maybe seeing pics?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi names jed, my spouse and i just got two tortoises, ones a red-foot and ones a Russian. The Russian is the newest, both i believe are about two to three years old. we hare in the process of building new enclosers for them right now. the red-foot is in a large fish tank which came with the purchase, and the Russian is in another encloser, both came from people that looked like they did not properly take care of them, we are super excited to have these additions to our family. We live in north Dakota so unfortunately they are limited to the outside so trying to build enclosers that they will both enjoy.
A very warm welcome to the forum!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you all here in the forum. Care t share some photo of your torts?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! What caused you to decide to get tortoises?

jededia

hey everyone, actually its crazy my spouse has a turtle figurine collection and just loves turtles so for his birthday i got him the red footed one, then we just happen to find the Russian on a site like Craigslist. just got done upgrading the fish tank to something way better for the turtles

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
One suggestion that I got here that was really helpful was to use a big terra cotta saucer for a water dish - that way they can walk in and out of it to bath or drink. Water dishes that they can't sit in limit some of their natural tendencies to bath and rehydrate.

Which tortoise has the top bunk there? For the red foot, you will want to find a way to cover the enclosure to keep the heat and humidity up. They're hard to maintain in ideal conditions in open enclosures. Russians are more tolerant of temperature and humidity variations, but still appreciate higher humidity than most people realize.

jededia

One suggestion that I got here that was really helpful was to use a big terra cotta saucer for a water dish - that way they can walk in and out of it to bath or drink. Water dishes that they can't sit in limit some of their natural tendencies to bath and rehydrate.

Which tortoise has the top bunk there? For the red foot, you will want to find a way to cover the enclosure to keep the heat and humidity up. They're hard to maintain in ideal conditions in open enclosures. Russians are more tolerant of temperature and humidity variations, but still appreciate higher humidity than most people realize.

thanks, we had a large water thing in there for the red foot and all he did was poop on the rocks that led to it, and we had a fish tank for the red foot one but every place i looked online said tanks are not the best housing do to the glass and lack of airflow, but yeah the red foot is ontop. we still have some modifications to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jed, and welcome to the forum!