new tortoise not eating

bullanddoser1

hello everybody I hope you can help me, I recently adopted a 60 pound sulcata from Hawaii. I am in NM and it's cold. The low tonight is 12 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a warm house (8ft × 6 ft) for him outside and the temperature stays between 65 and 75. I have it lined with hay as well with a heat lamp. He will walk around in his house but will not come out. The day temperatures are usually around 50 degrees. I place food in his house everyday he has not eaten any of it. This has been going on for 4 days now. He still appears to be very healthy and comes to the door to say Hi when I open it.
I am very concerned with him not eating. I also have not noticed him drinking any water.
Please help.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Can you get them temps in there to 85? What are you using for heat? Mine is the same way. He won't come out of his house and I have to bring him his food and water, which most days he won't touch. Yours is probably in shock from going from Hawaii temps to New Mexico. What foods are you offering?

bullanddoser1

Heat is a ceramic heater and a heat lamp. Any suggestions on how to get the temperature higher? I keep the door closed at night to increase the temperature during the day I have the door open to offer him to go outside.
he has a large amount of hay in his house that he can also eat. But I have been offering him every type of weed and organic kale, organic leafy greens and dandelion leaves. I have also been offering tomatoesand cucumbers which I know him loves cucumbers. he also has calcium bones in his house.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Heat is a ceramic heater and a heat lamp. Any suggestions on how to get the temperature higher? I keep the door closed at night to increase the temperature during the day I have the door open to offer him to go outside.
he has a large amount of hay in his house that he can also eat. But I have been offering him every type of weed and organic kale, organic leafy greens and dandelion leaves. I have also been offering tomatoesand cucumbers which I know him loves cucumbers. he also has calcium bones in his house.
Use one of thoses mini oil filled radiators and put it on a thermostat. That way you will have zero problems getting it to the correct temps. Right now you have it too cold and the wrong type of heat.

bullanddoser1

Thank you everyone for the info. I can not find a mini oil heater local. They are all to tall. Anyone ever use a basebord heater? Or place the oil heater on its side? His house is only 24 inches tall.