New Tortoise Keeper

515miker

Location (City and/or State)
Ogden, Utah
Hello,

I recently received a Russian Tort from my wife as an early birthday gift and I am quite excited. I've been doing my research and I am looking to build an outdoor enclosure for Hodor as soon as possible. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

1-Will having his enclosure close in proximity to our vegetable garden pose any issues? I'm probably overly paranoid but my main concern is my vegetables getting contaminated somehow.

2-I have some railroad ties I'm looking to use as barriers, and I plan on digging down about 6". Before putting in the substrate, should I line the bottom of the enclosure with anything if it will be going directly on the ground?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. This forum appears to be a great resource. Thanks for having me!

-Mike

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) It won't hurt to put him near your garden. Also, I would put some type if fencing like chicken wire before laying the substrate. They are good diggers and climbers, so I would be sure to leave enough space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure so he can't climb out. I have seen mine climb straight up a tree trunk.