New Tortoise Enclosure! - Help, is it safe!

connerspringer

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Hello fellow Tortoise Owners! My name is Conner Springer (16)

I am creating this thread to ensure my tortoise I'm ordering tomorrow on my birthday! September 1:) I'm new to tortoise owning, and I just built an enclosure for it! I was wondering if it was safe for a baby hermann tortoise!

Here is the enclosure!
rE39xYT,7P25Pct,H2Q5PPc

As my father does like to work with wood, we went with natural unpressure treated high quality wood:) The Specifications are 2 feet by 4 feet.
rE39xYT,7P25Pct,H2Q5PPc

I have some birthday money and I would like it to live for a long time, so I went with two 150w lamps, 1 Heat (Right), 1 UVB (Left) That's a Black trash bag to insure the integrity of the wood!
rE39xYT,7P25Pct,H2Q5PPc

This is the final product, do I have things in the correct spot? I'm looking for a lot of help:) So please comment!

Any help is encouraged thanks for y'all help:)
So glad we have forums:)
- Conner Springer

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow....16!!!! I did that number once...enjoy it..live it..love it..have a grand adventure..and also be safe for the sake of your Mathair (Mother)...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello fellow Tortoise Owners! My name is Conner Springer (16)

I am creating this thread to ensure my tortoise I'm ordering tomorrow on my birthday! September 1:) I'm new to tortoise owning, and I just built an enclosure for it! I was wondering if it was safe for a baby hermann tortoise!

Here is the enclosure!
rE39xYT,7P25Pct,H2Q5PPc

As my father does like to work with wood, we went with natural unpressure treated high quality wood:) The Specifications are 2 feet by 4 feet.
rE39xYT,7P25Pct,H2Q5PPc

I have some birthday money and I would like it to live for a long time, so I went with two 150w lamps, 1 Heat (Right), 1 UVB (Left) That's a Black trash bag to insure the integrity of the wood!
rE39xYT,7P25Pct,H2Q5PPc

This is the final product, do I have things in the correct spot? I'm looking for a lot of help:) So please comment!

Any help is encouraged thanks for y'all help:)
So glad we have forums:)
- Conner Springer

I love the space..may I offer a suggestion for light placement? I would suggest that once you set the space in its spot, you figure a way to have the lights hang from above, straight down and less in a slant..you will loose less heat and stray uv rays..I would also suggest a cover that can close off about half to 3/4 the top..to help create a secure area as well as that will help to keep warmth and some humidity under part of the cover...I would also suggest some silk plants or real plants and lots of them in a couple areas of the space...oh, I would also make sure to have the substrate as deep as possible withiut allowing the tort to climb out...

connerspringer

Richmond, VA
I love the space..may I offer a suggestion for light placement? I would suggest that once you set the space in its spot, you figure a way to have the lights hang from above, straight down and less in a slant..you will loose less heat and stray uv rays..I would also suggest a cover that can close off about half to 3/4 the top..to help create a secure area as well as that will help to keep warmth and some humidity under part of the cover...I would also suggest some silk plants or real plants and lots of them in a couple areas of the space...oh, I would also make sure to have the substrate as deep as possible withiut allowing the tort to climb out...
Thanks for the suggestions! Those all sound really good:) And yeah the walls are 12 inches tall so how worried do you think I should be?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I had some plastic down in my table to protect the wood and my Hermann's ripped it to shreds by digging at it. I'd recommend something a bit heavier duty like pond liner.

connerspringer

Richmond, VA
I had some plastic down in my table to protect the wood and my Hermann's ripped it to shreds by digging at it. I'd recommend something a bit heavier duty like pond liner.
Oh yeah, this is why I came on here:) Thanks for the recommendation! Will do next Substrate change, I'm buying a baby one from http://www.myturtlestore.com/ So hopefully he won't destroy it xD

connerspringer

Richmond, VA
So figure..you have a tort that can equal 4 to 6 inches in vertical length..so you should be able to run like 5 inches of really packed down tight (you want packed down tight so the tort has solid foundation to walk on) dirt...
So is it okay? I really appreciate the help:)