New Tort!

Maya_

Hello!
In the following week, I should be getting a Greek tortoise from someone who can't keep her anymore. I have many other animals/reptiles/amphibians, etc but this would be my first tortoise. Would you mind telling me if she seems healthy? I only have this one picture, sorry!

As for the setup I have a 6x2 enclosure (two zoomed tort tables connected). Will that be suitable for the rest of her life or will she need a upgrade?

Thank you in advance!IMG_1662.JPG

BILBO-03

That table will be fine for now but the tortoise should have a 8x4 enclosure for the minimum. That tortoise looks pretty rough and dry so you should soak him and maybe clean his shell with a toothbrush. Oh yeah Welcome to the forum!:)

BILBO-03

One more thing where are you located if you are in a warm enough climate you can house him outside and just bring him in at night or make a heated night box.

Maya_

That table will be fine for now but the tortoise should have a 8x4 enclosure for the minimum. That tortoise looks pretty rough and dry so you should soak him and maybe clean his shell with a toothbrush. Oh yeah Welcome to the forum!:)

Ok for the enclosure. I'll let her get acclimated at the beginning and then make the enclosure larger. Also, after the soaks and cleaning, you think she'll be better-health wise?
Thank you!

Maya_

One more thing where are you located if you are in a warm enough climate you can house him outside and just bring him in at night or make a heated night box.
Northern Canada. Even summer is too cold for these little guys:tort:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Northern Canada. Even summer is too cold for these little guys:tort:

Ooh, interesting. When you say Northern Canada, how far north are you talking about?

If you are going to end up with a fully indoor tortoise, I suggest going as large as possible with the enclosure. 8 feet by 4 feet should be the minimum you consider for an adult habitat - if you can go bigger, go bigger. If you have warm days in July or August, having an outdoor enclosure so it can get some natural sun will be good, but if you are looking at long months indoors during the warm season, you need to provide a big, natural feeling space.

Maya_

Ooh, interesting. When you say Northern Canada, how far north are you talking about?

Northern QC :D

And will do! I have an idea of how I'm going to expand. It sucks that se won't be able to be outside very often but I'll try my best to house her as best as possible.