New Tort Owner

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
Hi out there, not very computer savvy, but here goes. I'd been thinking about getting a tortoise and thought let me check craigslist as well as other sites. Well low and behold a pair of golden greek come up for sale fairly close to where i live. I have the person send me a pic, it's small but they look good? I tell her i'll take them. When i get them they don't quit look like greeks but for the price 165 for a breeding pair the price is right. Clear eyes, no runny nose, felt pretty solid. I start looking at pics of greeks online and can't find anything like them. I know, that's what you get buying on craigslist. Finally i found something.... Eastern Hermann's Torts. I would just like some verification and are they both males?

1st meet Kahn.
GEDC0062.JPG GEDC0063.JPG GEDC0065.JPG GEDC0066.JPG
He appears to have pyramidal shell? Can i nurse him back to health?

2nd meet Aries.
GEDC0067.JPG
GEDC0068.JPG
GEDC0071.JPG GEDC0070.JPG
Unfortunately he appears to have some dog bite marks on his back.

They both eat well, all leafy greens, grass, and clovers. Keeping them out in natural sunlight for 3-5 hours a day.
Just one more thing...if these are two male E Herm torts instead of a greek breeding pair, can they live together in the same area? The lady i got them from said she only had them for 5 months and they were moving, and she got them from a friend of a friend of a friend and so on.

oh yeah one more thing, is there anyway to determine age?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
They both look good to me, and both look male so no, do not keep them together. Even breeding pairs should not be kept together. One will almost always bully or harrass the other and this is stressfull and can be fatal. Torts do not do well in pairs. I hope you get them and seperate them so both can thrive, they are both beautiful. And welcome froma fellow buckeye :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I agree they both look male, hermannis and not bad looking torts. I also agree they need to be separated.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! You do have 2 male hermanns (i have 2 female :p) and be sure to give them calcium supplements 3 days a week and keep them nice and humid. Kahn's (probably spelt wrong by me so sorry) pyramiding cant be reversed but as he grows older it will be less recognisable if you treat him well now and give him baths :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome! Those boys look healthy. :)

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Thank you all, now I'm stuck with a dilemma. My wife won't let me build another tort table. So how do i choose which one to get rid of? Just on a side note is there anyway to determine age?