New to Tortoise's - Need Help

NewToTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi, I'm hoping to get a horsefield/Russian tortoise in the near future. I've been looking up tortoise tables and have seen one which I think looks okay and is spacious, it's called the Vivexotic Viva Tortoise Table but I'm not sure which bulbs I should get and where to place them and was wondering if you guys could suggest bulbs and point out the best place to put them ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464027782.238442.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I hate to shoot you down, but those pre-made tortoise tables are just not big enough - especially for a Russian tortoise. They require a lot of roaming space. Outside would be much better, but if you have to have it indoors, a bookcase with the shelves removed would be better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For night heat:
ceramic heat emitter.jpg

Provides UVB plus heat for day:
mercury vapor bulb.jpg

NewToTortoise

Scotland
Thanks for the replys, with the lights would I keep them in a centralised location within the bookcase? Or would I put one at either end, and turn each on/off depending on day or night?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

Please read the so-called "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, as well as the different care sheets that are available.;) And do not hesitate to ask any question. you'll get the help you need.:)

As far as the enclosure is concerned, make sure to have it made as large as possible: these cute little animals are used to roam around in the wild without boundaries or borders.;) And good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The MVB needs to hang vertically down. Where is up to you. Put it on a timer so it goes on and off automatically. No thermostat is needed. Basking temperature is changed by adjusting the height of the lamp.

You only need a CHE if your room temperature drops below 65F at night. If that is the case, then you should connect it to a thermostat and also have it on a timer.

As Yvonne says that table is too small.

Please read these for expert guidance on what you need

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Care Sheet
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

NewToTortoise

Scotland
Thank you :) I've looked at quite a few bookcases instead online but I'm still unsure about the lighting, as I'm not sure if I should have multiple lights as the enclosure is bigger, and im looking into how I would make the wood at the bottom waterproof.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What you need is a good digital min/max thermometer so you can work out your room temperatures. Then you will know how much of a job you need to do with temperatures in the enclosure.

Most people find that one basking lamp in the day and one CHE at night are enough - many don't need the CHE at all.

Then you will also need a temperature gun thermometer- they're inexpensive from Amazon - so that you can test temperatures accurately in specific places in your enclosure.

NewToTortoise

Scotland
So after reading your suggestions I bought a bookcase, I've lined the inside with shower curtains and wanted to know what you guys think, is it safe? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464126984.649701.jpg and if not what should I do instead?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Looks good. You can also use plastic siding for housed it comes in different mils. I use the 6 mil it's very heavy duty. You can also line the sides as well to protect them from the moisture and increase longevity. How tall are the sides?