New to tortoises... diet & shelter

zeewiciwan

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
We just got a Hermann's, was given to us by some folks who had to move out of country. They didn't tell us much about the diet, but they said they gave him lettuce, carrot leaves, banana and also dried chicken food... I have omitted the chicken food as I have read that processed food is not very beneficial and offered various vegetable and leaves: lettuce, kale, vine leaves, banana, tomatoes, dandelion... he spent the first 4 days eating nothing, just roaming around our back yard. Then he started to eat only lettuce. I also read that it's important to soak them in shallow water to drink, but he doesn't seem to like it at all... I put out a shallow dish but he never gets close to it. Today I noticed he was trying to drink water spilled on the floor. How often do they drink? I don't want to be hassling him with water too often if he's still adjusting to his new ambient. I am also working on a wooden tray to fill with soil and put up some stone shelter and plants in it for him as he seems in need for it. Noticed him several times trying to burrow into things around the yard. Temperatures here are between 30C - 38C here at the moment so I was curious how much heat can they take.

Sorry for all these questions but looking for info on the web is quite overwhelming and some sites do not go into details. I would appreciate some help as I am a bit worried he's not getting adequate nutrition...Thank you in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises prefer to drink from puddles and running water. Set the running hose near him and see if he'll drink from it.

A little bit of Purina chicken food is probably beneficial. It contains the vitamins, minerals and plant proteins growing tortoises need. But be sure you're using a pure product, and not one with medicine and growth hormone additives. I use Purina Layena about twice a week with the greens. You can omit the bananas and tomatoes, as testudo tortoises shouldn't have all that much fruit.

They can take a high ambient temperature as long as they have shelter to burrow into. Hermanni don't really dig a burrow, but they like to shelter under plants and sometimes dig down into the roots to get out of the heat. You can provide some sort of dog house-type shelter, placed in the shade and filled with leaves and weeds.

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you here.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
http://www.hermannihaven.com

it can take a while for torts to settle in to new surroundings so dont panic. as far as drinking goes, some people will never catch them in the act but yes it's important to allow access to fresh water. a shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk into ground level is ideal.

it's important to bathe the little ones as well, especially when they are not eating, fill a tub to just about above the bottom of shell and you'll probably catch them sticking there head under to hydrate. just make sure water temp is not too hot or cold.. lukwarm to touch is the test i use.

wish you best of luck, posting up some pics will help people advise you as well ( im a newbie ) but hopefully info from links will help you on your way :)

zeewiciwan

Malta
Thank you all for your input...Perhaps I should try the Purina chicken food then as a treat. He has got a lot of shaded places here, his favourite spot is under a shallow bench with plants hanging over it. I am preparing a wooden pen (treated with beeswax) also to grow some edible plants in it for him. I did place a shallow plant tray with water but he doesn't go to it.. These are photos of him. I was also concerned about his shell... is it normal to be bumpy like this? Most pics I've seen are not like this.
IMAG3392.jpg IMAG3393.jpg IMAG3394.jpg

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
im only guessing but could he be a she? i think it looks like your tort has some pyramiding but thats not uncommon, its due to past care... poor diet/humidity, but looks fine to me.

we have a hermanns as well whos shell looks the same, i think the carapace on this bread is naturally a bit high but ours is only 3 so not as profound. I'm really new to tort life so im only guessing! it's nothing to worry about though, just the way its grown.

as i say im totally guessing please dont take it as gospel. does your little one have a name yet?

zeewiciwan

Malta
I've been told it's a he because females were hard to find when they got him..and well lately my son was playing with him and I noticed something out at his rear hind lol... definitely not poo! My little guy named him Diego... I did think he had pyramiding, I will look further into it. Thank you.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
diego like from ice age? love the 'definitely wasnt poo' description lol , that happend to me last week too. our fido exposed himself when i was taking him out the tub, must have been enjoying his bath!