New to Tortoise world

Debbie TJ

Location (City and/or State)
gainesville, TX
Hello, my name is Debbie and my son has a tortoise we found in our yard we think came from a neighbor that didn't want him/her anymore. I did research and discovered we had a tortoise and not a turtle. We had an aquarium and have "Shelly" there. I know the terrain isn't right and need guidance on what we need, cleaning, food, water, activities and bathing. This is a brand new adventure for us.20170418_082439.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome!

You have a box turtle there. Where are you located because it could have been a wild one.

@cmac3 @Yvonne G any advice?

I would soak her in some warm water for about 3 minutes and offer her a couple of worms for a little meal.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a box turtle. If it is native to where you live, you need to put it back.
Just an FYI, tortoises or turtles found that are not native to your location are usually lost pets that were able to get out of their enclosure and an attempt to find the owner should be made before keeping as ones own.
Some should be along soon that can ID the type of Box turtle this is. Then look it up to see if it native.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
3 toed box turtle with interesting eyes. It needs dirt to burrow in not those fish tank rocks. As said before its most likely wild. State laws could prohibit you from keeping it depending what State your located. Since your not familiar with them or their care, it would most likely be better off if you released it into a wooded area away from roads.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Debbie, and welcome to the Forum!

Did you actually talk to the neighbor and they told you they don't want the turtle anymore? In that case, since it was someone's pet, it would be very wrong to release it back into the wild. You have a male three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). They can be great little pets. Please be sure to read a care sheet and learn how to set this turtle up properly (no rocks for substrate).