New to this forum

William79

Hello everyone. My name is William, and I am eagerly waiting for the arrival of my Russian Tortoise hatching. He was suppose to arrive today, but shipping was delayed by one day. I am a little nervous about him being late. My fingers are crossed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Sorry to hear it's delayed. That's always a nail biter. So far I don't remember one tort being delayed and not being okay. I'm sure yours will be okay too.
When you do get him though, give him a nice long warm water soak. Then place him in his enclosure that hopefully you have read our caresheets and not other ones that are out there, and have his enclosure all set up right. Give him some food and leave him be until the next day. Good luck let us know how he's doing.

William79

Hello and Welcome. Sorry to hear it's delayed. That's always a nail biter. So far I don't remember one tort being delayed and not being okay. I'm sure yours will be okay too.
When you do get him though, give him a nice long warm water soak. Then place him in his enclosure that hopefully you have read our caresheets and not other ones that are out there, and have his enclosure all set up right. Give him some food and leave him be until the next day. Good luck let us know how he's doing.

Thanks. I needed that reassurance. This is my first tortoise and I already feel like he is my child. Thanks again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, William!

In case you haven't already seen it, we have a good Russian tortoise care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian Tortoise section.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Welcome to the Forum, William!

In case you haven't already seen it, we have a good Russian tortoise care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian Tortoise section.
That would be these written by TFO species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too. :)

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

William79

I am please to announce that my Russian hatching arrived safe and alive. I do have a question that I can't seem to get a clear answer. At night when I go to bed, am I suppose to turn off the heat lamp and leave on the UVB lamp? Or is it the other way? Some say leave both on and some say leave turn off heat lamp only to simulate the sun going down.

William79

What is the appropriate temperature for Russian Tortoise hatchlings? I've read so many different things and I'm not sure. I use a 100 watt bulb for a 55 gallon container. My thermostat is showing 110 degrees, sometimes 115. If this is too high, what is the best way to lower it?