New to this forum

Eddie Ceja

Location (City and/or State)
Hawthorne,California
Hi guys my name is Eddie I live in Southern California, and I would love to get a tortoise but I am not sure which tortoise would be great for Southern California. I have experience with reptiles but mostly ball pythons and Leopard geckos. Please help me thank you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

If you have plenty of yard space then a Sulcata will do well in SoCal. They do grow rapidly into 100lb+ bulldozers so outdoor space is essential even if you are planning on getting a baby.

@Tom is in SoCal and has several species including Sulcatas and the somewhat smaller Russian.

Don't be fooled by size though. Even the smaller species need a 4'x8' enclosure except when very small as they are active, roaming creatures.

Russian Torts bought from pet stores in the US are invariably adult/sub adult wild caught and not babies.

Torts are not social creatures and very territorial. They should be kept alone. Pairs invariably fail as bullying, both mental and physical sets in, over territory and food disputes.

I suggest you start by reading the following which will let you know what you're letting yourself in for

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Eddie Ceja

Hawthorne,California
Thank you :) I was thinking of a smaller tortoise. I have been doing lots of research, and I was thanking of an elongated tortoise. Where I live the lowest the temperature gets is 49 degrees, but I can house a baby tortoise indoors till he/she is big enough for outdoors.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Thank you :) I was thinking of a smaller tortoise. I have been doing lots of research, and I was thanking of an elongated tortoise. Where I live the lowest the temperature gets is 49 degrees, but I can house a baby tortoise indoors till he/she is big enough for outdoors.

Elongated tortoises are great. They don't like super bright lights and high heat, so I am assuming you are more coastal than desert? I wouldn't recommend them for a desert climate, but for everywhere else I think they are fantastic animals.

Alicia Hoogstra

Welcome!!! Everyone here is always willing to help if you have any questions! I am a new tort mommy and they have helped a lot!

Terri2016

Hi guys I'm Adi and this is my tort,1 yearold Terri
I don't know if he is a he or she can anyone help meimage.jpg

Eddie Ceja

Hawthorne,California
Elongated tortoises are great. They don't like super bright lights and high heat, so I am assuming you are more coastal than desert? I wouldn't recommend them for a desert climate, but for everywhere else I think they are fantastic animals.
Yeah I am closer to the ocean. I have been doing a lot of research on them, and that they can handle lower temperatures.

Terri2016

image.jpg Thanks I'm gonna stick to calling him a male until I know but I'm the meantime hers a pic of him eating his first treat