new to this and to having a tortoise

msbowers

I'm wondering about getting info I kinda got some info on a Russian tort. But what I was told from previous owner, what I read, and what I was told from the pet store are all way different, I'm in Utah if that helps on what I need to know.

Attachments

• WP_20150927_001.jpg
    WP_20150927_001.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 18

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
There is a lot of bad outdated info out there, and pet stores notoriously spew bad expensive info. The care guides Tom gave you are great up to date info.
Welcome to the forum.

msbowers

I don't know if it is because of the move or what but "speed" has been hiding under his log the whole time we have had him, is that normal

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise forum to you and speed.
He will tend to hide at first.
Small tortoises are prey animals and he will currently be thinking there may be a territorial tortoise or a predator in the enclosure an you may be about to eat him.
He will soon come to realize that this is his territory and you are 'the food god' and not a threat.
be patient and it should be okay as he grows and adapts.

msbowers

We got him on Sunday so not even 2 days yet, so should I keep putting new food in his food bowl??? Also where about should his food bowl be should it be on the hot side or more over by the water

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I use a flat piece of slate or sandstone to put the food on as this helps keep the beak trimmed naturally.
Not to near the basking spot, but otherwise anywhere should be okay.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum to you and your cute tort.

Don't panic!;) Torts take a lot of time to adapt to a new place, new environment, new owner, new climate, virtually new everything. And please be PATIENT.