New to the world of tortoises!

BeccaGeddes

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi everyone,
I'm Becca, 20, from Glasgow and I just got my first tort! He's a one year old Hermann's, and is a lively wee fellow.
I'm open to any hints or tips on how to keep him healthy and happy, so feel free to message me!
Thanks! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418928941.613186.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Becca, and welcome to the Forum!

I would change out that substrate and get something smaller, easier for a bay to walk on. I don't know if you have coco coir there in Scotland, but that's what a lot of us here use.

BeccaGeddes

Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks everyone, very pleased to have him as a part of the family!

Hi Becca, and welcome to the Forum!

I would change out that substrate and get something smaller, easier for a bay to walk on. I don't know if you have coco coir there in Scotland, but that's what a lot of us here use.

Thanks for the advice, I've noticed him struggling a bit to get his footing, I'll do that. What's coco coir?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You put it into a bucket of hot water and once it is re-hydrated, dump the water out and squeeze the rest of the water out of it. Put in in your habitat then pat it down firmly with the palm of your hand to make it easier to walk on.

BeccaGeddes

Glasgow, Scotland
Thank you! I'll give that a shot and see how he gets on. So do I just put that in the bottom, I won't need anything on top of it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Right. I don't know how big your habitat is, or how much one 'brick' would cover, but you want to end up with about 3" of substrate after you've packed it down.

BeccaGeddes

Glasgow, Scotland
Viv is 3ft by 1.5 ft, I could just get a couple of blocks to be safe, they'll get used eventually. How often should it be changed?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! You'll love it here. Your tort:tort:is....gorgeous, take good care of it and good luck.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!! He is a looker! What's his name? Can we have a pic of your entire enclosure?

BeccaGeddes

Glasgow, Scotland
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418946273.692572.jpg

He's camera shy haha! We're trying out Dwight at the moment, only got him yesterday. I prefer Jim (can you tell me and my partner are fans of The Office haha?)

I'd love any feedback on our layout etc. to see if there's anything I could move about to make him more comfortable. Also, do tortoises get bored? I was wondering if there's anything I could get him to keep him entertained.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you get your new substrate in there, have your dishes sitting on the bare floor so the substrate is up to the rim of the dishes. That way he doesn't have to climb to get in, or reach his neck up and over to get a drink. We like the plant saucers for waterers because they have sloping sides and it's easier for them to climb out of without tipping over backwards into the water.

Is that black striped sheet on the wall some sort of heat element? I like that.