New to the Tortoise World :)

NaJaJo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hello everyone,

we, my family and I, decided after a long thinking time, that we are going to be tortoise owners. We took a long time to look around and get information. While I researched, I came across this forum a lot, so I thought introducing myself, rather than lurking would be nice.
Yesterday, we finally took the plunge and got a Homes Hingeback tortoise. Right now, he (we believe it's a boy based on his big ole tail) is in a 40 breeder tank, with coconut substrate. He has a little "wading pool", a small shaded area to eat and a hide box. For now it's a shoe box, although we are working on a permanent hide box for him.
He was shy yesterday, but once the mushroom and kale came in this morning, he has been an active happy little camper since. Even took a dip and left a little "gift" , hahaha. Eventually, we want to graduate him to a bigger space and maybe get another tortoise.
Looking forward to chatting and learning more about these awesome creatures.
Pics attached - Everyone, meet Frankenstein aka Frank. (My 7yr old son named him )

IMG_20150910_170501.jpg IMG_20150911_131116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello everyone,

we, my family and I, decided after a long thinking time, that we are going to be tortoise owners. We took a long time to look around and get information. While I researched, I came across this forum a lot, so I thought introducing myself, rather than lurking would be nice.
Yesterday, we finally took the plunge and got a Homes Hingeback tortoise. Right now, he (we believe it's a boy based on his big ole tail) is in a 40 breeder tank, with coconut substrate. He has a little "wading pool", a small shaded area to eat and a hide box. For now it's a shoe box, although we are working on a permanent hide box for him.
He was shy yesterday, but once the mushroom and kale came in this morning, he has been an active happy little camper since. Even took a dip and left a little "gift" , hahaha. Eventually, we want to graduate him to a bigger space and maybe get another tortoise.
Looking forward to chatting and learning more about these awesome creatures.
Pics attached - Everyone, meet Frankenstein aka Frank. (My 7yr old son named him )
A very warm welcome to the forum!

What a cute little tort, and I like his name too.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Welcome to the forum i wouldn't recommend another tortoise one might become dominant and will not allow the other one to eat so all around not really a good idea. Also what are you feeding him

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. He is a very handsome tort.
There's lots to learn and this is the best place to learn it with the most up to date information around.
Adam has posted some good links and the Enclosures thread will also give you lots of good advice on how to make your tort as comfy as possible. He would probably appreciate some plants in the soil to hide under and feel more secure.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good place to find out which plants are safe for torts.
Happy tort keeping!!

Last edited:

NaJaJo

Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum i wouldn't recommend another tortoise one might become dominant and will not allow the other one to eat so all around not really a good idea. Also what are you feeding him

Right now we are feeding him mushrooms and kale. A couple of apple chunks, but he doesn't seem so interested. I have a card from the pet store, that lists all the things he has eaten while in their care and what his favorites are. So we went with his top 2 to get him to settle in.

NaJaJo

Florida, USA
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and all the great info. :) I feel we are in great hands for advice and new friends.