New to the thread and turtle world

rachel breedlove

We are in Sunny Northern cali and bought our first home and went out and got our first Big dog puppy -- ya us. So as I walk the new big dog puppy in our neighborhood we found a friend, who seems to be a box turtle. We started googling immediately so we could become instant know it alls about this new friend we found.
So housed him in a kid pool for a week and looked for his owner and now after about 2 mths no one wants to claim the turtle- So now he is ours and I am not giving him back . lol
New home new dog new turtle who could ask for more.
Now our new turtle -- whos name is Squirt i call him turttie.. Has an outdoor habitat now. I am obsessed with making it comfy and healthy for him and I have stopped all my R and R reading for this new turtle and dog and home reading I have to do -- thank you all in advance for the Hi and any help along the way.

turtle hab.jpg 1st day turtle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rachel breedlove

Ya i think he may of been a lost pet. Me and a few neighbors believe a family let him run away, maybe to find his way to the garden neighbor. I was thinking Eastern box turtle too, we haven't taken him to the vet yet -- he seems healthy per google.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One other thing about dogs and turtles/tortoises.....
They like to eat each others poop. (Sorry)
Dog meds in dog poop can kill a turtle/tortoise and turtle poop can pass on parasites to the dog.

rachel breedlove

One other thing about dogs and turtles/tortoises.....
They like to eat each others poop. (Sorry)
Dog meds in dog poop can kill a turtle/tortoise and turtle poop can pass on parasites to the dog.
That is good feed back -- so far dog has been eating cat poo -- yum. Our turtle enclosure has been doing a good job with keeping them out and the dog does pretty good at doing his duty on the side yard. i havent even seen turtle poo yet -- time to google

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachel, and welcome to the Forum!

Your new turtle is an ornate, Terrapene ornata ornata, and might be female.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
welcome! I really find box turtles interesting I wish I lived in a climate that would allow for a nearly year round outdoor enclosure