New to the forum with aquatic turtle question.

Michele_Mace

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho falls, idaho
uploadfromtaptalk1414698054708.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1414698114052.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1414698176960.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1414698212294.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1414698275850.jpg Hi, I think I have a male western painted turtles. can someone more experienced take a look to verify? I also would like to know how big of a gallon size tank should two western painted turtles be in because I would like to get another one too. I have 155 gallon tank though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michele:

I can't help with species, but both are male. In my opinion, 155 gallons wouldn't be big enough for three full sized turtles. You have a couple of very pretty turtles.

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
These are pictures of one turtle and I only have one right now. I would like to have two if a 155 gallon tank would be suitable for two?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be stretching it a bit. You can try it and see. You'll know it's too small if they fight a lot and if it gets dirty quickly.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I also believe it is a male. I love Western Painted but 2 may not have enough room in a 150 G. If you do get another, make sure its not male.

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
I opened a new thread to help figure out the exact gallons of my tank before purchasing a female western painted turtle to accompany my male. The tank is 6ft x 2 1/2ft x 1 1/2 ft (L x W x H) any idea of the amount of gallons that adds up too and if would be sufficient? I researched that male western painted turtles reach up to 6" and female can reach up to 12" so I need 180 gallon tank? Right?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You know if you put a male and female together....you will need a few more tanks for the result of male and female being together....lol....beautiful turtle by the way....

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
150 is more then enough for two westerns. All serious turtle breeders agree 1gallon per inch of shell for every turtle rule is just crazy for common species. Maybe 1gallon per inch and then add 20 gallons for each turtle next.

Usually breeders are doing 3-4 adults in 150gallon stock tanks.

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
Well we have 3 tanks (2 are empty) my male is only 3.6 inches right now and I haven't purchased a female yet. So their is time before they mature and procreate but in the event of such we have back up tanks. I think that the two should be good in a 150 gallon though. I imagine I have years before they both fully mature and if needed I can get a bigger tank by then. How much do they grow in a years time?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
What a gorgeous turtle! Yep, male western painted turtle. That should be fine. 150 gallons would be amazing for a couple painted turtles! Painted turtles don't grow very large, and your future female would be pushing it at 10''. Turtles tend to grow a wee faster then tortoises, but not much! So expect a long, nice turtle childhood! Are planning on breeding? That's most likely what will happen!

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
I'm hoping to breed but not for a few years down the road. I would like to get a 200+ gallon set up for them before they mature and are of their full length. I also want to have a few feeder tanks and a few extra set up for Lil turtles when the time comes.