New to russian tortoise ownership

cinderella0330

Hi my name is Cindy. I live in Medford,NY.
We rescued a wonderful russian from a turtle rescue. He was loved for several years by a family that couldn't keep him anymore. He has brought so much happiness to our lives. He is very responsive and let's you know what he needs. He loves my 8 yr old son. He named him Shelly.
We could use some suggestions for food choices. I am finding the information to be different everywhere you look. Some say they get bored and to change what they eat daily. Then I have also read that people feed the same things everyday. I have read fruit isn't good for them then you read give them fruit once a month.
We just want to be the best russian parents we can.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20150905_081505.jpg
    20150905_081505.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO Cyndi. Torts should've fed a varied diet, never feed the same thing on a daily basis, change it up. Fruits are OK in tiny tiny amounts once a month or so as a treat. How old is your little guy, he may still need a closed chamber type of tank.
There are lots of Russian people here that will soon advise you more :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Very cute pic. Nice looking Russian. Broad leafy greens/weeds. You should be able to find food info under the Russian section. They don't need fruit and really isn't good for them. But if you feel the need to give them a special treat, a strawberry seems to be their favo, no more then once a month though.

cinderella0330

We were told he is approximately 10 years old. He has a tank type enclosure. He has the reptile bath with the ramp I read here that this isn't good. He goes in at least once a day on his own and gets out on his own without problems. Should I change this to a flat dish?
Also I was told to put a tortoise salad topper on his food everyday. He also has a tortoise block? Should he have the t Rex tortoise salad topper every day? He does nibble on his tortoise block sometimes.

Attachments

• 20150906_122952.jpg
    20150906_122952.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20150910_131958.jpg
    20150910_131958.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19

Keith D.

Arizona
We were told he is approximately 10 years old. He has a tank type enclosure. He has the reptile bath with the ramp I read here that this isn't good. He goes in at least once a day on his own and gets out on his own without problems. Should I change this to a flat dish?
Also I was told to put a tortoise salad topper on his food everyday. He also has a tortoise block? Should he have the t Rex tortoise salad topper every day? He does nibble on his tortoise block sometimes.
Terra cotta plant reservoirs are the best for food and water dishes

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Cindy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, your son and Shelly.
As varied a diet of broad leafed greens and the other things on the list Yvonne linked is best.
Fruit is not necessary at all, they don't need 'treats', but a little once a month is ok. ( I do, I must confess.)
What a handsome young chap he is.
Ditch the water features.
A cheap, shallow, terracotta saucer sunk into the substrate but wide enough for the tortoise to soak in is better.
For food, a flat piece of slate or sandstone is good as this helps keep the beak filed down, too.
Look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
Should keep you busy for a bit! :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. I love Russian tortoises. They are such little characters.