New to forum and tortoises

ChrissyLake

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chrissy Lake. I live in Ojai, California.
Yesterday I was given two young tortoises. I've always loved tortoises but never got one because I didn't want to buy a pet that could possibly outlive me and my children
But, as luck would have it, here I am.

So, I was told they are male and female. Don't know what kind. I think they are about 5 years old? I tried to find an ID match online and I think they are Greek tortoises, but that's just my best guess. They appear to be very healthy and are very active and eating well.

Right now they have safe temporary indoor(2'x3') and outdoor(6'x6') enclosures however I will be building them bigger long term enclosures ASAP.

I am a big animal lover. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, 9 fish tanks and 2 human children.

I joined this forum to learn as much about my new little tortoise children as I can so that I can provide them with the best possible care.
~Chrissy

IMG_3517.JPG IMG_3533.JPG

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Everyone,

My name is Chrissy Lake. I live in Ojai, California.
Yesterday I was given two young tortoises. I've always loved tortoises but never got one because I didn't want to buy a pet that could possibly outlive me and my children
But, as luck would have it, here I am.

So, I was told they are male and female. Don't know what kind. I think they are about 5 years old? I tried to find an ID match online and I think they are Greek tortoises, but that's just my best guess. They appear to be very healthy and are very active and eating well.

Right now they have safe temporary indoor(2'x3') and outdoor(6'x6') enclosures however I will be building them bigger long term enclosures ASAP.

I am a big animal lover. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, 9 fish tanks and 2 human children.

I joined this forum to learn as much about my new little tortoise children as I can so that I can provide them with the best possible care.
~Chrissy

View attachment 203439 View attachment 203440
They are GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations and welcome from Texas!

ChrissyLake

Hi Chrissy and welcome
They are lovely - are they the same species?
Check out this thread for warnings about keeping pairs of torts
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...esson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/#post-875796

Forewarned is forearmed!

Wow! Okay, so what would be best for these tortoises? At what age will this behavior start. Meaning, how long do I have to either build more enclosures or rehome one? Right now they still fit in one hand (though I always pick them up with both hands). I have about 2 acres of land so I feel like I could build two and keep them separate. I'd rather build proper enclosures than rehome one. I'm still unsure about what type they are and how big they will get.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Keep them both!!! If you can provide safe space for both. They are both gorgeous. I wouldn't know which one to rehome, both so pretty... you'll figure things out as you go, just stick around here

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

They should be separated ASAP. They should never have been living together as a pair. There is a lot of misinformation and conflicting advice out in the world and some people just get going in the wrong direction based on bad advice.

ChrissyLake

Hello and welcome.

They should be separated ASAP. They should never have been living together as a pair. There is a lot of misinformation and conflicting advice out in the world and some people just get going in the wrong direction based on bad advice.

Yes, I see this all the time with fish care. It literally took me about 2 minutes to find this forum and start getting help. These little babes just fell in my lap or I would have researched before and already had enclosures built.

ChrissyLake

Beautiful! Same species yet so different :) Names yet?
They came with the names "Tom & Jerry" which I thought was cute because I loved that cartoon when I was a kid. but I also loved the land before time ❤️ I think Little Foot and Spike would be cute names, and they're like little dinosaurs.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Too adorable! Welcome to the site.
What kind of tortoises are they? I have not a clue.

ChrissyLake

Too adorable! Welcome to the site.
What kind of tortoises are they? I have not a clue.
Thanks!
I don't know if I'll ever have a difinitive answer. It appears they are crosses of different Greek types.
I think all tortoises are pretty darn awesome though