New to cherry heads. Babies might have shell rot?

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
I am new to the world of cherry heads and bought a couple of babies in mid November. Well today as I was feeding them I was inspecting their shells and the bottom of the shells are worrying me. They are dark and looks like they are pitting. Wanted to confirm shell rot so I can start treatment.

They are in a plastic tote with coco fiber soil and sphagnum moss. I mist it 2-3 times daily to keep humidity up. I think that is the issue so i am going to put them in a 60 gallon tank with a solid lid and switch to cypress mulch to maintain humidity w/o having the sub-straight as moist.

They also have a ceramic heat light to help keep temps up, a UVB florecent bulb, and a repti basking sun lamp.

Any insight on what to do to make them better is appreciated. Thanks

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450662373.657924.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450662386.283454.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you keeping them on wet substrate? The Reds/Cherry need a high humidity but with the top layer of substrate dry as they are prone to shell rot and fungus. This usually can be accomplished by pour warm water into the corners, wetting the bottom layers. I can't tell by the pics, doesn't really lol like rot, maybe a start of fungus? Get them on dry top layer and you can put some anti fungal cream on them in case it is a start of either.

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
The top layer doesn't stay wet that much. It dries out pretty fast from the ceramic heater. I have a humidity hide with sphagnum moss that is relatively moist. They spend a lot of their time in there. I will take some pics.

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
Okay thanks. I will get some fungal cream and move them to the bigger enclosure tomorrow with the cypress mulch. Hopefully that will help.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is what I do with my reds weekly . Get you some of this soap in the picture below . Clean there shells with it . I have never had shell rot on any of my tortoises .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's what reds do bestest ! Just clean the shell with the soap and apply foot cream to them should clear up in no time . Then wash them weekly or every other week . Then no more problems .

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's what reds do bestest ! Just clean the shell with the soap and apply foot cream to them should clear up in no time . Then wash them weekly or every other week . Then no more problems .
Mike, have you any ideas why these guys have shell rot. The enclosure doesn't look particularly over wet. My substrate is more moist than that and had no probs. I read somewhere that spagnhum moss encourages mould growth. Have you ever heard that?
@threeheadedshadow did you wash the moss before you used it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can you show us your UVB "Bulb"?
(There is a type that is associated with tortoise eye problems.)
Redfoot don't need to bask but need the whole enclosure to be 80-86 degrees and the humidity to be over 70%.

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
I did wash the sphagnum moss in the sink when i was initially getting it wet before it went in the enclosure. I was trying to use that to help keep the humidity up.

Here are the bulbs I am using.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450698828.452007.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I did wash the sphagnum moss in the sink when i was initially getting it wet before it went in the enclosure. I was trying to use that to help keep the humidity up.

Here are the bulbs I am using.

View attachment 159391
Dont read into what I said about the moss.
I use it too, I put mine in boiling water before I use it. I'm just curious about all this shell rot stuff, that's all. There has to be a reason it happens. I understand if there is a cut for bacteria to set in, but yours doesn't seem to have any obvious damage where the rot started from.

I wondered if anyone thought it was fungus growth from the moss.

Last edited:

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
Interested in what form of uvb bulb you would use then? I use an 18" florescent of the same bulb for my box turtle and since I have switched to it he has become more active and his color has gotten a lot better. That is the only reason I went with that type/brand.

I am hoping that the anti-fungal cream and soap will help clear their shells up. I do think that maybe the enclosure has just been too wet with the constant misting and the change to a closed lid enclosure with the cypress mulch will help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The strip UVB is all that you'll need.
As for substrate,
I'll share with you what I use if it will help:
I have about 3-4 inches of orchid bark covered by 3-4 inches of potting soil and compost mixture. I pour water into the corners of the enclosure and the orchid bark absorbs it. Leaving the top layer mostly dry. High humidity without the fungal issue.
I would only place the moss inside a little night sleeping box. They like a more humid sleeping box.
This way, with a closed or mostly closed top, misting will not be required.

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
New enclosure is set up. Gave them a bath. Applied the hibiclens after their soak. The one little guy pooped like 5 times during his bath lol. Applied the anti fungal cream and now they are in their new home. Below are pics after a scrub and the cream. I will post pics how they look as they get better.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450747707.891885.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450747717.960609.jpg