New To box turtles

Daigaurd

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
13179429_10208262236567135_8596981544425663022_n.jpg
Hello, first time poster and box turtle owner, as of yesterday. I found Mr. Turtle (still thinking of a name) in the middle of a bridge before a crowded intersection and picked him up before he became roadkill. I was going to let him go on a farm or something but my son is infatuated with him so I decided to build him an enclosure around the house. I think Ive got all the bases covered, high walls going into the ground, burrows, and a water dish. He has so far explored all his area, taken a swim, and has now set his sights on digging the larger of his bungalos even deeper. I am going to add a lid with chicken wire once i can get to the hardware store.

I am only concerned about the position and adequate sunlight. The spot is between the house and some tall trees. It gets direct sunlight in the morning, from about 9am to 1pm in the summer, and is shaded the rest of the day. I chose it because of the relative moisture level. It stays dry enough during the rain because it is uphill, but retains enough moisture than moss gross readily along with herbscious weeds like dandelions. Is this location too shaded/moist for an eastern box turtle?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
13179429_10208262236567135_8596981544425663022_n.jpg
Hello, first time poster and box turtle owner, as of yesterday. I found Mr. Turtle (still thinking of a name) in the middle of a bridge before a crowded intersection and picked him up before he became roadkill. I was going to let him go on a farm or something but my son is infatuated with him so I decided to build him an enclosure around the house. I think Ive got all the bases covered, high walls going into the ground, burrows, and a water dish. He has so far explored all his area, taken a swim, and has now set his sights on digging the larger of his bungalos even deeper. I am going to add a lid with chicken wire once i can get to the hardware store.

I am only concerned about the position and adequate sunlight. The spot is between the house and some tall trees. It gets direct sunlight in the morning, from about 9am to 1pm in the summer, and is shaded the rest of the day. I chose it because of the relative moisture level. It stays dry enough during the rain because it is uphill, but retains enough moisture than moss gross readily along with herbscious weeds like dandelions. Is this location too shaded/moist for an eastern box turtle?

Hello and Welcome! I love the little enclosure, you've done a tremendous job! I just want to give you a heads up on your Box Turtle, your Mr. Turtle appears from the picture to be an Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene Carolina Carolina). You may have to know your state laws for ownership of EBT. In Ohio your not permitted to take Wild Box Turtles out of the wild and you must have a permit for ownership even Captive Breed. Also, Wild Box Turtles generally do not do as well in captivity since they are Territorial(meaning this one probably wants to go back to his area, even though some of his area is surrounded by roads and people. Its important to keep the wild ones in the wild for their specie survival. I just want you to be aware of these things before you embark on owning these great creatures. Needless to say I commend you for probably saving this ones life and I wish you the very best with it! As for the lighting, I think you have the enclosure in the perfect spot! Good Luck and if you need anything let me know!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hello and Welcome! I love the little enclosure, you've done a tremendous job! I just want to give you a heads up on your Box Turtle, your Mr. Turtle appears from the picture to be an Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene Carolina Carolina). You may have to know your state laws for ownership of EBT. In Ohio your not permitted to take Wild Box Turtles out of the wild and you must have a permit for ownership even Captive Breed. Also, Wild Box Turtles generally do not do as well in captivity since they are Territorial(meaning this one probably wants to go back to his area, even though some of his area is surrounded by roads and people. Its important to keep the wild ones in the wild for their specie survival. I just want you to be aware of these things before you embark on owning these great creatures. Needless to say I commend you for probably saving this ones life and I wish you the very best with it! As for the lighting, I think you have the enclosure in the perfect spot! Good Luck and if you need anything let me know!
I could not agree more with the above post

Daigaurd

Kentucky
I live in Kentucky and the eastern box turtle is our only terrestrial turtle, but not (as of yet) on our list of vulnerable species. Our laws allow the keeping of up to 5 reptiles from the wild.

It got pretty cold last night, but Mr. Turtle dug in and emerged this morning and took a swim, rummaged through some veggies we left him and is currently soaking up some sun. I do plan to release him back if at any point he seems he is not doing well.
BFbvD4wrACi

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I live in Kentucky and the eastern box turtle is our only terrestrial turtle, but not (as of yet) on our list of vulnerable species. Our laws allow the keeping of up to 5 reptiles from the wild.

It got pretty cold last night, but Mr. Turtle dug in and emerged this morning and took a swim, rummaged through some veggies we left him and is currently soaking up some sun. I do plan to release him back if at any point he seems he is not doing well.
BFbvD4wrACi

Glad to see he/she is adjusting well! Yeah it got really cold last night and tonight isn't going to be much better!

Daigaurd

Kentucky
Pretty sure its a he, eyes are reddish and belly is concave. Anyone know what are some flowers/herbs i could plant in his area to give him some self renewing food? So far all i have is dandelions

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I have a strawberry plant in mine, but have been told too much is not good. Yellow and orange veggies are good for them, but idk if a wild caught boxie will go for it or not. I have given pre-cooked yams and they loved them. also you can cook butternut squash and try feeding it. i don't think you can grow much of what they want to eat in the enclosure. Worms, Isopods, are good.